Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get a thermostat for my tegu`s viv the one ive looked at turn off when its reached the desired temp would one be ok in my viv as a tegu likes to bask under some heat
at the moment im haveing to change a day light to a night light and again early before i go to work and i dont really want another light fixing in there as i have two allready one spot bulb and a uvb bulb

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what your asking there!? but...

I think you have to change bulbs around in the evening to keep the heat up during the nights? Just to point out here I don't know squat about Tegus but this info' generally goes well for all lizards & snakes.

A temp drop is nothing to worry about and as long as it doesn't go below 70f most lizards are fine! As for stats there are a few options....

If your using a creamic bulb and you want a temp drop at night I'd go with a pulse day/night. This will allow you to drop the temp by quite a few degrees. Or you can set it to drop something like 5f only. I use these. If you don't want to bother with a drop use a normal pulse stat with a ceramic. They don't give off light so you don't have to worry about night day cycles. I'm guessing they need UV so that could provide your light.

If your using a filament bulb you'll need to use a dimming stat. Now with a filament bulb you won't be able to use it during the night unless its a red bulb. Now my personal opinion is I don't like these at all. If you want to provide heat during the night I'd go with a ceramic!

anyway thats enough for now....

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not heat during the night im worried about its the spot bulb turning off during the day when its at the set temp, if my tegu has smoething to eat and then wants to sit under a warm light it wont be able too

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
then use a dimmer stat....

This will fluctuate the amount of power going to the bulb and maintain a constant temperature below the bulb. i.e. you can set it so that its always at 95f directly were he sits. It won't turn off the bulb either just dim it down....

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Basically

Dimmer - restricts power but is always on
Pulse - Turns power of an on to maintain temperature

Then you just go into the day night models etc.. There all simple to use : victory:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think id be best with a dimmer i use a 100w bulb for the day at the moment at night do i just turn it down to what temp i need it
thanx for clearing that up for me : victory:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts