Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought the following thermostat for my tortoise. Habistat DIGITAL Temperature Thermostat + Timer. It's an on/off thermostat. Is it ok to use this with a halogen spot lamp, and a ceramic heater? I don't want the bulbs blowing up on me, due to being switched on and off all the time. My house is pretty cold, generally, so I imagine it would be on most of the time anyway.

The ceramic heater is for night time use, the halogen lamp for during the day. I also have an Arcadia T5 bulb for UV.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Yes you've done the right thing there, the dimmer is what you need. I've glanced at the instructions for that stat but don't think you can run both a lamp and a ceramic via the dimmer, you'd have to run one at a time i.e. unplug the lamp and plug the ceramic in for night. I may be wrong but that's what it looks like from the instructions. If as I suspect and it will only run one at a time but you actually wanted both then you might want to look at the Microclimate Prime range of thermostats Prime thermostats as they can run multiple sources at the same time amongst other features.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Looks like it has 2 sockets because one is controlled by the dimmer and the other is just a timer like you'd use for turning lights on and off.

Post back here when you have it, it'll be useful to know either way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you're right. The other one is for a night eye, I think, something you cab buy that makes it adjust to the light levels outside.

I'll keep you posted, either way though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the thermostat, turns out it only controls one heating element at a time. The other socket is for a light, which is also controlled by a timer. I'll just have to swap over the halogen for the ceramic at night. You can set two different temperatures for day and night time, which is handy. You can also set it so that the light goes off at night, then I'll just have to swap the halogen for the ceramic plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.