Reptile Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have seen I recently took a Western hognose with a full set-up, and when he got here realised there was no thermostat. So I bought a Habistat 100 to go with his Habistat mat, plugged it in, set it to 30C and put the probe on the bottom of the tank because he burrows. Temps on the digital thermometer were reading 76ish so I put the stat up... it was all the way up to the max, 35C, and temps were still only low 80's. So I moved the probe to the top of the substrate and temps are getting up to 86 (at the bottom of the tank where he lives) but dropping to 76 before the stat switches the heat back on...

It's not the mat that's faulty, it went up to 110F when it wasn't plugged into a thermostat. To be sure I've plugged in a different, bigger heatmat (it covers half of the viv floor) and temps are still far too low.

Does it seem like the stat is faulty or have I done something wrong? Should I move the probe up further? This stat cost me £30 so it's not cheap rubbish, if it's faulty I'll go back tomorrow and demand a refund. : victory:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've had similar problems with heatmats which is one of the reasons i use ceramics and pulse prop/dimmer stats wherever possible - but this year i wanted to make a little hatchling rack so had to use wire or mats... as I had various sizes of mats lying around i did some experimenting....

from what I've found, the problem you're having isn't that the heat mat's not powerful enough, or that the stat's not working - it's that the mat gives off way too much heat once it's got going, but takes too long to warm up to that point. the stat is a simple on/off so requires a certain amount of temperature change to work, but some mats (mine varied) take ages to get warm, then very quickly become too hot and the stat turns them back off.

don't know if this helps you though as with mine i just picked the mats i had the least difficulty maintaining temps with :?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts