Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently got a thermostat, its all working good but i dont know where in the tank i should put the probe. i know it has to be on the warm side of the tank, but do i put it under the aspen shavings on the heat mat or on top of the shavings. also should i put the probe on the side of the tank or in the middle of the heat mat?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The probe should be directly on the mat's surface, so in your case I'd put it under the substrate and fix it in place with a piece of blu-tack or a small piece of tape - if you use tape make sure it's well stuck down so that the snake can't get stuck to it.

A heat mat on the viv floor under substrate won't heat the air - it'll just give a warm spot on the floor - so it's important to have the probe as close as possible to the mat, and fixed so it can't be moved.
If the snake managed to move the probe away from the mat it could overheat and possibly cause burns.

If the probe was on the side of the tank, the stat would have no chance of controlling the mat.

·
Registered
541 Posts
best thing i have found to do is using a staple gun staple a cable tie to the viv floor then just cable tie the probe to it.
Snakes cant move it as it stays secure.Works for all my snakes.I used tape before but removed it as didnt want to risk the snake getting stuck and possibly hurting him self.

This is also a good way of putting branches up and wood and stuff

Give it a go :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i put it on the heat mat but i have another question i know it sounds stupid but how thick should the substrate be in the tank?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Depends on the snake. An inch is OK for most snakes, but a burrowing species (Hognose, Sand Boa) will need more 3 - 4 inches.

Too much on a heat mat will insulate it, resulting in high heat build up in the lower layers and not much getting through to the cage.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'd put the heat mat under the viv and then the probe tight on the viv floor above.

I use just enough substrate to cover the floor. Don't see any point in any more apart from maintaining humidity if you struggle.

Always best to have something else heating the air too like a red light or ceramic. Otherwise your snake may not be able to absorb heat unless on the floor above the mat.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I wouldn't put any more than a couple of cm's of substrate over the mat, ideally less. If you want to give the snake somewhere to burrow you could pile it up thicker at the other end of the viv.

The staple/cable tie method of fixing the probe sounds pretty good, but don't put the staple through the mat!
I'm sure you knew that anyway but just thought it worth mentioning :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts