Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I've been trying to find the best place for sensors. My thermostat is set to about 42 yet the thermometer to the left of it (far right in pic) is at 45.4 degrees, how is that when the thermostat is right next to it so shouldn't let temp go over 42?!?

Also, the lower sensor states 34.7. Where is the middle ground as sometimes she'll bask by getting right on the arch decor so be near the top sensors so if I put the bottom one to 40 then the higher ones would be high 40s and be too hot for her.

Any help please. Ps please note the 18 is humidity right near the basking bulb which is fine as middle part of tank is about 48% and a bit further over where another sensor is, is 52%.

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
Hi.

I've been trying to find the best place for sensors. My thermostat is set to about 42 yet the thermometer to the left of it (far right in pic) is at 45.4 degrees, how is that when the thermostat is right next to it so shouldn't let temp go over 42?!?

Also, the lower sensor states 34.7. Where is the middle ground as sometimes she'll bask by getting right on the arch decor so be near the top sensors so if I put the bottom one to 40 then the higher ones would be high 40s and be too hot for her.

Any help please. Ps please note the 18 is humidity right near the basking bulb which is fine as middle part of tank is about 48% and a bit further over where another sensor is, is 52%.

View attachment 349873
That's because the reading on the stat is only a guide, the thermometer gives the true reading.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's because the reading on the stat is only a guide, the thermometer gives the true reading.
There is no reading in the thermostat (microclimate dimmer) it just has a key you turn to the numbers (as you probably know).

I have two thermometers, think roughly got them ok but the thermostat is set to about 39 as it's closer to the bulb but the thermometers (2 of them) are lower or on the asking spot but yet read higher temps?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
There is no reading in the thermostat (microclimate dimmer) it just has a key you turn to the numbers (as you probably know).

I have two thermometers, think roughly got them ok but the thermostat is set to about 39 as it's closer to the bulb but the thermometers (2 of them) are lower or on the asking spot but yet read higher temps?

Hi, the probes only read air temps, what`s the basking surface temp?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Hi, how old is she? Im guessing youve had her a while?
I'd say shes outgrown the roots as a basking area, are you able to get a pic of the whole vivarium and give us some setup details?

Have you thought about building up the basking area with some large flattish rocks or slate tiles (can get a bit DIY and make some nice basking platforms)

Regarding probe/stat settings, you need to look at surface temperatures when doing the basking spot, so the air temps are largely irrelevant in the warm end.
The type of bulb you have will change the way the air temps establish, but by using a airtemp in the cool end you regulate the thermal gradient from warm>cool, and by using the surface temp of basking you then get the bulb/basking distance and bulb output balancing to give the right temperatures when under the basking lamp.
You can position the probe in a variety of places, I position mine more towards the basking area, it can be easier by setting it in the cool end to make sure you dont go too warm and then varying the basking platform height... but theres lots of ways to do it and some work better than others depending on the actual setup to be truthful.

You need a IR temp gun to read surface temperatures, and depending on the material you use as a basking surface it will absorb/reflect heat in different ways. Wood will warm up faster and possibly get a little hotter than what you get using stone, ideally a mix of these two (so a basking platform setup with a branch coming across or up onto it for example...depends on space available).
Stone makes an excellent basking surface, reflects some heat but absorbs and holds warmth, darker stone rather than white/very light tends to work best just in terms of getting the basking temps right.
You are looking for 42C to 45C as a basking surface temp, and you want to keep at least 10 inches between the basking bulb and the basking surface, i'd lean towards no closer than 12 inches personally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, the probes only read air temps, what`s the basking surface temp?
I have a probe on the surface decor arch and that's 41 which the one in picture bottom left prove is now touching the arch. Problem is if she fully climbs on, she'll cover it up if it's too close to where he spot is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, how old is she? Im guessing youve had her a while?
I'd say shes outgrown the roots as a basking area, are you able to get a pic of the whole vivarium and give us some setup details?

Have you thought about building up the basking area with some large flattish rocks or slate tiles (can get a bit DIY and make some nice basking platforms)

Regarding probe/stat settings, you need to look at surface temperatures when doing the basking spot, so the air temps are largely irrelevant in the warm end.
The type of bulb you have will change the way the air temps establish, but by using a airtemp in the cool end you regulate the thermal gradient from warm>cool, and by using the surface temp of basking you then get the bulb/basking distance and bulb output balancing to give the right temperatures when under the basking lamp.
You can position the probe in a variety of places, I position mine more towards the basking area, it can be easier by setting it in the cool end to make sure you dont go too warm and then varying the basking platform height... but theres lots of ways to do it and some work better than others depending on the actual setup to be truthful.

You need a IR temp gun to read surface temperatures, and depending on the material you use as a basking surface it will absorb/reflect heat in different ways. Wood will warm up faster and possibly get a little hotter than what you get using stone, ideally a mix of these two (so a basking platform setup with a branch coming across or up onto it for example...depends on space available).
Stone makes an excellent basking surface, reflects some heat but absorbs and holds warmth, darker stone rather than white/very light tends to work best just in terms of getting the basking temps right.
You are looking for 42C to 45C as a basking surface temp, and you want to keep at least 10 inches between the basking bulb and the basking surface, i'd lean towards no closer than 12 inches personally.
Hi. She is nearly 6. Nope, I've had her a week, I was speaking to you the other week about getting a 9 month old but the people changed the plan so I couldn't get him then found her.

The problem with this decor is it's an arch so she can lie on it and half will be on the higher bit and half lower bit so don't want the lower but so be say much colder than the top arch bit.

I have thought about the slate idea, just not had chance. As it bought a more flat surface for her to lie on might be better.

I am unsure on what the bulb is but I got told white light bulbs are better than yellow or whatever.

·
Registered
33,048 Posts

What I mean is that the stat setting is just a guide- just because it's set at 42 doesn't mean it will reach exactly 42, it could be a few degrees over or under. The thermometer is telling you the true temp- a temp gun will be better still.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I mean is that the stat setting is just a guide- just because it's set at 42 doesn't mean it will reach exactly 42, it could be a few degrees over or under. The thermometer is telling you the true temp- a temp gun will be better still.
Right ok, ye it's confusing. I feel like I'm doing a bad job at it now. The thermometer got to 51 other day and I only had thermostat set to like 42.

I've rearranged it just now. So a with it having a thermostat, should be bulb be dimming a lot throughout the day then? As that's what it's meant for, right?

I have the thermostat sensor hovering a few inches below the bulb then got thermometers on the arch but a bit at the back on it so she doesn't knock them off.

Do you have any tips and advice please on sensor placement?

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
Right ok, ye it's confusing. I feel like I'm doing a bad job at it now. The thermometer got to 51 other day and I only had thermostat set to like 42.

I've rearranged it just now. So a with it having a thermostat, should be bulb be dimming a lot throughout the day then? As that's what it's meant for, right?

I have the thermostat sensor hovering a few inches below the bulb then got thermometers on the arch but a bit at the back on it so she doesn't knock them off.

Do you have any tips and advice please on sensor placement?
The lamp should brighten & dim throughout the day in accordance with slight temp changes. I would put the stat & thermometer probes beside but not directly on the basking spot. You really need a temp gun to measure the actual basking surface temp- adjust the stat until the gun reads the temp you want, then set the stat to dim at that reading on the gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lamp should brighten & dim throughout the day in accordance with slight temp changes. I would put the stat & thermometer probes beside but not directly on the basking spot. You really need a temp gun to measure the actual basking surface temp- adjust the stat until the gun reads the temp you want, then set the stat to dim at that reading on the gun.
Ye I'll need to get a temp gun, previous owner didn't have one.

I've put the sensors as shown in photo, both thermometer next to each other and both reading pretty much the same, atm it's 42 degrees there.

Thermostat is the hovering one.

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
Ye I'll need to get a temp gun, previous owner didn't have one.

I've put the sensors as shown in photo, both thermometer next to each other and both reading pretty much the same, atm it's 42 degrees there.

Thermostat is the hovering one. View attachment 349886
If they're both reading the same temp, then you're on the right track. Temp gun will tell you for certain what the basking temp is, & will give you an instant reading- you don't have to wait for it to reach the temperature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they're both reading the same temp, then you're on the right track. Temp gun will tell you for certain what the basking temp is, & will give you an instant reading- you don't have to wait for it to reach the temperature.
Ye they're reading the same temp give or take .5 or so. Ye a temp gun is good but during week I work and out from about 06:30 until about 17:30 so can't really use a temp gun (like most people who will work)

The whole concept around bearded dragons and the whole info is just mixed info. Professionals say one thing, forums say another, FB groups say another thing and VETS say another thing as well so it's hard to grasp what is right and what is wrong.

So if the thermometer are saying roughly same temps, how come they say 42.4 average but thermostat can be set to say 40 and it goes higher? As I thought since thermostat is closer to the bulb it will get the hotter reading and in that it will dim to cool then go brighter again and so on.

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
Ye they're reading the same temp give or take .5 or so. Ye a temp gun is good but during week I work and out from about 06:30 until about 17:30 so can't really use a temp gun (like most people who will work)

The whole concept around bearded dragons and the whole info is just mixed info. Professionals say one thing, forums say another, FB groups say another thing and VETS say another thing as well so it's hard to grasp what is right and what is wrong.

So if the thermometer are saying roughly same temps, how come they say 42.4 average but thermostat can be set to say 40 and it goes higher? As I thought since thermostat is closer to the bulb it will get the hotter reading and in that it will dim to cool then go brighter again and so on.
No, but you can set the temp by the gun during the weekend. Once it's done you'll only need to use the gun once a week or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, but you can set the temp by the gun during the weekend. Once it's done you'll only need to use the gun once a week or so.
Ah right ok. Well I'm going through different things and getting used to stuff. Like past 3 days she has had a poo each day and one person said looks fine then another said looks a bit runny. I only got her Sunday so could be stress and stuff, I hope anyway.

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
Ah right ok. Well I'm going through different things and getting used to stuff. Like past 3 days she has had a poo each day and one person said looks fine then another said looks a bit runny. I only got her Sunday so could be stress and stuff, I hope anyway.
All reptiles do a dodgy looking poop every now & again- I've seen yellow, orange & even green or blue urates once in a while from some of mine! But as long as it doesn't happen all the time, it's nothing to worry about. As long as the runny poop isn't greenish & doesn't smell worse than usual, I wouldn't worry unless it keeps happening. Btw, a temp gun won't break the bank- they're around a tenner from ebay or Amazon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All reptiles do a dodgy looking poop every now & again- I've seen yellow, orange & even green or blue urates once in a while from some of mine! But as long as it doesn't happen all the time, it's nothing to worry about. As long as the runny poop isn't greenish & doesn't smell worse than usual, I wouldn't worry unless it keeps happening. Btw, a temp gun won't break the bank- they're around a tenner from ebay or Amazon.
You said not greenish but that seems greenish?

I'm trying to do my best, I got her meal worms, locust and crickets but the crickets seem to be dying as after 4 days I had like 40 dear so not used them since so don't know what to do with the ones alive.

Got told meal worms only rarely give them so locust and I'm unsure what else to give her instead of just xl locust as morio worms are like a great and only other is calci worms I think.

Just feel like I'm doing a bad job since I've had her when I'm trying my best, done loads research, read up on a lot and posted and asked a lot of places and people.

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
You said not greenish but that seems greenish? View attachment 349896

View attachment 349895

I'm trying to do my best, I got her meal worms, locust and crickets but the crickets seem to be dying as after 4 days I had like 40 dear so not used them since so don't know what to do with the ones alive.

Got told meal worms only rarely give them so locust and I'm unsure what else to give her instead of just xl locust as morio worms are like a great and only other is calci worms I think.

Just feel like I'm doing a bad job since I've had her when I'm trying my best, done loads research, read up on a lot and posted and asked a lot of places and people.
That could be green because she's been eating veg. Unless it pongs real bad (by bad I mean the smell will hit you straight away, & not like normal poop), then it's unlikely to be anything to worry about.
Foodwise, try persevering with the crickets- try feeding her the survivors & see if she'll eat them. If you can get them, try red runner roaches & fruit beetle grubs. Some keepers swear by Dubia roaches, but they quickly burrow & most lizards won't bother to dig them up. Plus I find them hit & miss- a lot of lizards try one, never to eat them again in my experience.
I wouldn't say you're doing a bad job btw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That could be green because she's been eating veg. Unless it pongs real bad (by bad I mean the smell will hit you straight away, & not like normal poop), then it's unlikely to be anything to worry about.
Foodwise, try persevering with the crickets- try feeding her the survivors & see if she'll eat them. If you can get them, try red runner roaches & fruit beetle grubs. Some keepers swear by Dubia roaches, but they quickly burrow & most lizards won't bother to dig them up. Plus I find them hit & miss- a lot of lizards try one, never to eat them again in my experience.
I wouldn't say you're doing a bad job btw.
Thanks for your help. Appreciate it :)

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
If you are finding it difficult to reach the desired hotspot then move the thermostats probe away from the heat. Remember the thermostat is reacting to the temperature of the probe, so if it's at its maximum and the heater you are using is very capable of providing the required hot spot temperature then moving the probe towards the cool side by a few inches will result the thermostat driving the heater harder and thus increasing the temperature. The use of a digital IR temperature gun is is ideal for taking readings and "calibrating" the set up. Conversely if the heater is easily heating the area to the point that its too hot, then move the probe closer to the heat source. If you have the probe directly under the heater then you'll have more precise control. It's really a case of trial and error and ideally best done before the reptile is placed in the enclosure.

Oh and don't get too hung up on getting that "perfect" sweet spot. Provided the reptile has access to a hotspot that is +/- 3 degrees of whatever the care sheets tend to agree on is fine. No two days in the wild have exactly the same temperature each day. I'm sure your lizard won't mind it being 50c if the caresheets all suggest 48c. All the reptiles have the ability to thermo-regulate and it will move away once that internal thermostat is triggered and he needs to cool down, either slightly as it wants heat but not as intense, or to the cool end so it can cool down more.... Learn to read your animals. If they spend all the time at the cold end, even at night then the hot side is too warm. Just because the care sheets state 48C for this lizard or 32c for this snake doesn't mean they all like it that hot. Some of my snakes will spend all day at the cool side until dusk and then go and warm up before being active. But having eaten all will sit under the heat. Another splits his time form hot and cold side in the day...

Heating only becomes an issue when the cold end is excessively hot and the hotside is blisteringly hot and way over that +/- 3C range....Provided you offer a suitable range for the animal in question then you'll be fine

1 - 20 of 34 Posts