Reptile Forums banner

Do you think corns and kings need thermostats?

• Yes

Votes: 74 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.8%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
a normal heat mat under the viv, is all they need, no need for a stat for a heat mat of that size bigger ones then yes, imo

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Of course they need a thermostat to control their heat mat. Even a small 7-watt heat mat, uncontrolled, can get to 140 degrees fahrenheit - I've personally measured that temp on a mat of that size using a digital infrared TN1 thermometer.

And because corns and kings are TEMPERATE species ... their need for heating that is not excessive is just as great if not greater than a desert or tropical species.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
a normal heat mat under the viv, is all they need, no need for a stat for a heat mat of that size bigger ones then yes, imo
No, no, and thrice!

There were pictures on here recently of a wooden vivarium, with a mat placed beneath it, without a stat. The damage it done to the wood was horrific, and it would almost have certainly killed a snake. The temperatures must have been hitting 150f consistently to produce such destruction on the wood.

A stat is needed at all times.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
the hottest I have measured one of my heat mats is just under 95F I have measured a few and havnt had hotter surface temps than that.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
imo any mat any size any watt
either in under or on the side ov a viv should have a stat

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
its essential whereever a hea source is present, unless u can watch the heat source 247 and constantly monitor it, which imo no one can do.

Jay

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
Just my opinion I would never use a heat mat without a thermostat

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
I do, but that's all about to change. I'm now buying one. Nothing happened with mine, but i wouldn't recommend not having one. I voted yes!!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
of course you would?! how are you supposed to thermoregulate?

are you all insane?!

a stat is one of the things people should purchase BEFORE purchasing an animal, along with a concise book on that species. that in turn doesnt fill forums up with catastrophically dumb questions.... like the one at the start of this thread.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I would never use one without either, its not worth it, I did contemplate it before because the temps were alright in the viv but I was pursuaded out of it, however I do use them without thermostats to heat the tarantula cupboards.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
If they are coming in contact with any animal housing either inside outside on top or under a viv or snake they should always be on a stat we use stats for every single one of our heat mats and yup Ssthisto ive caught a heat mat hittin above 100F on a normal digital thermometer

Mats should not be brought with out stats unless your using them for some odd kind of use which has nothing to do with animals

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
my question is, if they are really that dangerous surely it would state clearly on the packing that it should not be used without a stat? I have checked mine and it definately doesnt, so really they are leaving themselves open to legal cases against them, if they are as dangerous as whats made out.

Im talking fire risk dangerous not dangerous to animals because I know it is that.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
umm maybe so i understand where your coming from but ive never checked the warning on the pack lol
there maybe something there in the small print that says about causing fires and i spose if it go hot enough under a viv with out being seen then it could possibaly cause fires ?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
how many mat companies also make corresponding stats? they would merely be advertising for someone else.

i reckon.

sorry. :lol2:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Thermostats for corns and kings?

Just wondered what the feeling here was...
that if you do not use one, you are a muppet.

N

1 - 20 of 69 Posts