• I have spare heat sources

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I have spare thermostats and heat sources

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • I don't have spare thermostats

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I don't have spare heat sources

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have spare thermostats or heat sources!

Votes: 4 13.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After that thermostat thread its obvious that most of you think a thermostat is required (and I agree)...but how many of you keep SPARE thermostats, heatmats or heat sources :razz:?

After all...its likely that some time in the future your thermostat or heat source will break. Are you prepared for that?

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
I've got boxes full of old heat mats and thermostats to be honest, can't imagine I would ever be stuck for one... and I keep buying better models like magic eyes etc. so more get added to the box!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
funnily enough i got 1 spare a couple of weeks ago! but i use more than that so should get a couple more really

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'd be fine.

Two snakes one in a wooden viv, with a heat mat tiled and sealed, and one 4 month old in a plastic tub, with a heat mat under. The tiled on a thermo, and the the tubbed snake on a mat stat.

Should any break, adult snake can be moved into a 50L RUB, and the thermostat placed onto a double socket adaptor for 24 hours until I can buy one, so I'm covered that way.

I have a spare heat mat arriving tomorrow, and am looking at getting a thermostat, which I will do closer to the time I buy a Royal python.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment I'm using two twin stats, a pulse proportional stat, 4 heatmats and a ceramic bulb.

I have enough spare heatmats to replace all 4 of the above but I don't have a spare ceramic bulb and I only have one spare (single) thermostat...so I need to get on that :sad:. To be safe I really should have a spare ceramic bulb, a spare twin stat and a spare pulse proportional stat.

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
At the end of the day though if something breaks - you can get next day delivery from most online retailers or you can go to your local shop so is it absolutely essential to have a spare one of everything?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the end of the day though if something breaks - you can get next day delivery from most online retailers or you can go to your local shop so is it absolutely essential to have a spare one of everything?
I guess it depends on the species...if they are really weak and get RI's easily then it could be?

I wouldn't panic too much if it happened to me...the boa could be moved into a 50litre RUB for the night (I would be able to put heat and a thermostat on that) if his thermostat or bulb broke and the corns would manage through the night without heat seeing as my flats not that cold.

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
If your heating breaks at night just have a hot water bottle handy! :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ive got a big platic box with all sorts in.I have two spair che's,Three Infa red bulbs,One dimmer.one pulse,heat mat an matstat that I still dont know why I brought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts