Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do YOU use thermostats to get the correct hotspot or do you just experiment with different wattage bulbs and raising/lowering the bulb until its right?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Fr my corns I have a spot light for 12 hours a day and a mat hooked up to a stat for night, smae for my royal ad my beardies. My JCP has an infra-red hooked up to a stat...
Ben

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fr my corns I have a spot light for 12 hours a day and a mat hooked up to a stat for night, smae for my royal ad my beardies. My JCP has an infra-red hooked up to a stat...
Ben
yeah, i do for my snakes and BD's but as this is in the tortoise section, I meant do people who have torts use them for the torts enclosures that are open topped so wouldn't have a build up of heat like a viv would.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Whoops, sorry! Don't have any torts, sorry again!
Ben

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Nope I do not use a stat for our heating.................but I use a MVB and you cannot use a stat with this it blows the bulb.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope I do not use a stat for our heating.................but I use a MVB and you cannot use a stat with this it blows the bulb.
so you just raise and lower it when it gets too hot/cold?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
No we have no need to, our house has a good ambient temperature and stays quite steady so its set up for her ideal hot spot temps and obviously the further she moves the other way the cooler it gets, so theres no need to move the bulb, (note to everyone we have digital thermometers in the hot and cool end of her room and it is checked every time we go in)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks
is this common practice or do others use stats?

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
I use thermostats. I keep my tortoises in a insulated garage and if temps drop below 18c the greenhouse heaters kick in.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
i Would not of thought so, I would think with the normal bulb people would use dimmer stats tbh as it regulates the temps, the only reason I dont is because its a MVB and as I said before you cannot use stats with them, for one thing it blows the bulb and for another it voids the waranty as its being used incorrectly and lastly even if i could use a stat with them i wouldnt as it would also reduce the UVB output.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
ok thanks
is this common practice or do others use stats?
Stats are not needed for torts as a hot spot shoudl be available at one end and cooler temsp at the other. Remember in the Med the sun shines most of the time, it does not go dark when a certain temp is reached, the tort simply moves out of the sun to a cooler area. Fluctuating temps from the on/off action of a stat cause confusion in torts in my experience ;)
Hope this helps

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stats are not needed for torts as a hot spot shoudl be available at one end and cooler temsp at the other. Remember in the Med the sun shines most of the time, it does not go dark when a certain temp is reached, the tort simply moves out of the sun to a cooler area. Fluctuating temps from the on/off action of a stat cause confusion in torts in my experience ;)
Hope this helps
yes, but surely a dimming stat would not confuse a tort because the light doesn't actually go on/off it just dims and holds the temperature constant.
I suppose they're not really needed because the tables open so the heat wont build up at the cool end and the tort can just move away, whereas a snake/lizard in a viv can only move to the cool side which is ok for them but still too warm for most torts.
so basically just move the light/heater to a height that gives the correct hotspot temp and let the tort go where it wants too?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thats why dimmer stats are used for "light" heating, so they do not turn on and off like a disco but reduce gradually or increase gradually to keep the optimum hot spot, the trouble with the On/Off stats for bulbs is as you say they turn the bulb on and off like a disco not good for the animal and not healthy for the bulb likely to cause a blow.

At the end of the day it depends on your set up if you are using a bulb that is going above the recommended basking temps for your tort (or any animal) its recommended to put it on a stat to prevent any heat related problems such as neurological damage

EDIT: sorry this was a reply to WM's post you snuck in before i pressed the save button :D

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
yes, but surely a dimming stat would not confuse a tort because the light doesn't actually go on/off it just dims and holds the temperature constant.

I'm sorry, I try to replicate what I have seen in the wild. I have yet to see the sun dim to hold constant temps. Constant temps have been found not to be good for torts in general, this is why they choose to thermoregulate at will ;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
In my opinion, in an open topped enclosure there is no heat build up like in a viv so once you have your lamp set up at a distance that creates an optimum basking temperature its not going to go over it, it should just hold a steady temp at that spot, The enclosure should be large enough to allow the animal an escape from this basking spot. So there is no need for a thermostat really. I use clamp lamps and brooders with no thermostats on open topped enclosures but always ensure there is a cool escape end .

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I'm sorry, I try to replicate what I have seen in the wild.
I'm sorry but since when has a tort table replicated the wild its the same as our vivs it just cant be done. We can try our best though

I have yet to see the sun dim to hold constant temps.
Yes me too I agree here but when the animal is in a restricted area (tort table or viv) the temps need to be regulated one way to do this is with a stat, a stat regulates the temps for you so you do not need to worry about it to much (but not with MVBs as I said before they blow them)

Constant temps have been found not to be good for torts in general, this is why they choose to thermoregulate at will ;)

Yes constant temps (I assume you are meaning temps the same in the whole enclosure without a cool spot) are also bad for reptiles that is why the hot spot is generally statted for them on the smaller vivs at least, so they have that gradient thats needed, hot spot statted= regulated temps= cool area at the other end to thermoregulate.

Note: My personal opinion

I will leave this thread now I think :D

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
I'm sorry but since when has a tort table replicated the wild its the same as our vivs it just cant be done. We can try our best though

WM A tort table is in o way like a vivarium giving hte tortoise h=chance to thermoregualte - hence no stats ;)

Yes me too I agree here but when the animal is in a restricted area (tort table or viv) the temps need to be regulated one way to do this is with a stat, a stat regulates the temps for you so you do not need to worry about it to much (but not with MVBs as I said before they blow them)

WM - that's just it though a tortoise is designed to thermoregulate it's own temps, a stat would prevent this natural behaviour.

Yes constant temps (I assume you are meaning temps the same in the whole enclosure without a cool spot) are also bad for reptiles that is why the hot spot is generally statted for them on the smaller vivs at least, so they have that gradient thats needed, hot spot statted= regulated temps= cool area at the other end to thermoregulate.

WM - Bit of a contradiction in terms there methinks ;)

Note: My personal opinion

I will leave this thread now I think :D

Whatever the hot spot, if the enclosure is large enough then you WILL get a temp gradient. If you cannot obtain a natural temps gradient and have to rely on stats then your enclosure is too small IMHO..In twenty odd years of rearing and breeding torts have never had to use a stat, it's unnatural. Of course when torts are big enough to live outdoors all this is unecessay anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts