Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just bought a new thermostat. I'm just wandering where to put the probe the instructions say put it directly on the heat mat under the substrate. Is this the best thing to do or should it be in the middle?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
with mats I put the probe on the mat and adjust the stat until I have the temp I want.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Thanks, so if I change the thermostat to say 28 degrees C the heat mat should emit this?
In short - no. The setting on the thermostat is hopeless. Use a thermometer placed where you want the temperature to be regulated and adjust the dial on the thermostat until you achieve this.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Thanks, so if I change the thermostat to say 28 degrees C the heat mat should emit this?
not always no, dont go by the stat.
You need a good, reliable digital thermometer to measure the temp.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I'll buy one soon, at the moment though ive just got one of the ordinary komodo ones, it'll have to do for a couple of days.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If ur up for a little DIY, I drill a hole size of sensor into the thickness of the base of viv from back toward front. Then from inside (obviously knowing your measurements and where your hole is) drill down to meet hole. Your stat is then underneath your mat just touching. Then hole through back for mat lead. Use sealant to stick mat down.

Now if your not a DIY man then don't do it as it could go horribly wrong!! :gasp:

Just means snake cant move mat or sensor and it's all lovely and tidy! Not that i'm OCD! :whistling2:

Like others said use thermometer to get temp right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts