Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really mad at the moment just got a letter through the post sayin that they are turning off the electricity off for 9 hours! 8:30-5:30. My corns will be fine but Im a bit worried about everything else espeically my new madagascan day geckos they are so small and so are their tanks and they will cool quickly. I've got leos bearded dragons royals corns and giant day geckos how should I keep each on warm?

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
hmmmmmmmm - first off THOSE STUPID TW#*S!:cussing:

Now i've got that outa my system, - hot water bottles? maybe - i have no idea!

Heat packs? maybe - like what people use for shipping!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Im really mad at the moment just got a letter through the post sayin that they are turning off the electricity off for 9 hours! 8:30-5:30. My corns will be fine but Im a bit worried about everything else espeically my new madagascan day geckos they are so small and so are their tanks and they will cool quickly. I've got leos bearded dragons royals corns and giant day geckos how should I keep each on warm?
buy some heat pads for back ache get them in boots or superdrug they really work

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
Can you get any heat packs??
Or maybe hot water bottles wrapped in a towel in there?
Maybe put a blanket/towel over the viv to act as insulation/

Sorry cant be of more help.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I know my corns will be fine because a lot of them I gradullay cooling anyway one of my beardies is in full brumation already. do you think the leos will be ok I dont really know how sensitive they are to temps. I know that if themps drop much more that 70f for the day geckos its pretty bad. Any ideas on the royal?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will use hot water bottles and towels....

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
could you hire one of those 3 bar gas fires that run on a gas bottle for the day, even on 1 bar it would take the chill off the room?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
could you not borrow a generator of some sort or even take the animals to a friends or relatives house?

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
A genny would be risky, there not regulated like the mains and could be under powered and not give the heat needed or over power and blow all the fuses.
You can get regulated gens, but the hire price is silly.
And if its used in a house the fumes will prob kill everything.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
do you not have a log burner, light that :) :D

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you know anybody who works in IT who can lend you a UPS?

although not sure why Stephanie has anything to get off her chest. not sure people would be too impressed to see a news report saying
Man dies working on live electrics because somebody's lizard might get cold

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
What about your freezer they only stay frozen 8 hours

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about your freezer they only stay frozen 8 hours
sorry I dont understand this post. I do have a log fire but it doesn't really warm up upstairs, well not my room anyway. I might consider moving them all to the same place in smaller tubs thats warmer maybe downstairs or but them all together with hot water bottle between them

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
dawny36 is saying that everything in your freezer will defrost in 8 hours when you electric is cut off :)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
o right yea i know tell me about it

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
if the freezer is left closed i would think it would be fine.

as for the reps, obviously the beardies will miss not having a basking light all day and it will annoy them all a bit but no real biggy..
when the electric does come back on.. leave it on late and give them a 6-8 hour day if you can... then off for the night and back on maybe an hour or 2 late the next day..then back to normal by that night.
that should just make them all think "oh the past coupel days been a bit odd"
without any harm.
to take the edge off the temps either heat your room to about 80-85 degrees, or use a combination of one or more of the types, hot water bottles, heat packs, candles [not in the viv obviously] to try and keep things cosy.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok I'll just have to do my best. BTW Dean I speak quite good french but I dont quite understand your sig, I dunno if im translating it wrong but is it quite depressing or some kind of threat?

·
Registered
52 Posts
In not sur but maybe you could use a generator, battery or a dynamo or somthing....:hmm:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
dont generators smoke?
sorry if they dont, I just thought they did.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts