Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi iv had my tincs for a while now and have been culturing springtails and flys successfully, im just wondering what can you maybe gain from a garden and cuture? any ideas,

thanks brynn-fish

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I collect lots of wild food from the garden, but most of my frogs take bigger prey than darts do. Talk to Stu (Soundstounite).

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
No worries. I can tell you that small woodlice, wild springtails and (when the weather warms up) greenfly are great- but as I said, most of my frogs like the bigger stuff.

I'm a big believer in varying the food as much as is possible, partly from a nutrtional point of view- we can't really hope to match wild diets, but we can at least try the best we can- and from an 'interest' point- over the years, I have seen that frogs tend to get bored- or at least less interested- if they are constantly fed the same foods.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh class :) any idea where to find the woodlice and spring tails lol. what do you think to ants?
thanks
brynn-fish

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
ahh class :) any idea where to find the woodlice and spring tails lol. what do you think to ants?
thanks
brynn-fish
Woodlice etc can be found in dampish areas under bricks, rocks, lumps of wood and so on- make sure that you collect from areas that aren't treated with pesticides, though. European ants don't seem to cut it for tropical frogs- and I honestly don't know why.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woodlice etc can be found in dampish areas under bricks, rocks, lumps of wood and so on- make sure that ou collect from areas that aren't treated with pesticides, though. European ants don't seem to cut it for tropical frogs- and I honestly don't know why.
sweet, my garden has never been touched with any treatments :D its weird about the ants lol as i thought that they ate tropical types and wouldnt have thought there was much difference :/ im to scared to try new things tho lol
brynn-fish

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Brynn, i'd avoid the Brit ants, many have the ability to squirt formic acid. There are many types of greenfly out there,i mainly choose from sow thistle sycamore trees and roses,that occur in my garden,i'll also note our greengage tree was hugely prolific for aphid last year. It seems to vary from year to year what is abundant,on which source.
You can also use a sweep net and a pooter to harvest small inverts from fields,and the garden.

Springtails can often be found in the compost bins,when mine are at peak production , the amount i can harvest is ridiculous we have a tiny grey springtail that can be harvested with a small soft make up brush and a tub to sweep them into. I also lay bits or cardboard at the top of the bin, to sweep the springs off,into the tub. As of yet I have failed to transport this spring. or culture it,but hell, a 200 litre culture at the bottom of one's garden that one does nothing to,other than chuck weeds in,i can cope with,hmm i have 4 of them:blush:.
your darts will take a variety of native woodlice,BUT they have to be small. so one can pull a 100 wild females,culture and pick out the babies as they hatch or again use the pooter and harvest them that way,by turning over bits of wood etc.I also get woodlice in my compost bins,of a suitable size for darts.

OK now the warnings, wild grub carries risks,hmm,probably some of these are negated in long standing invert cultures,the most important possibly being the idiroviruses(spelling?),which can be transmitted from invert to frog...RV ranavirus is one of these. Do not harvest from anywhere that has possibly been sprayed with pesticides or herbicides.Amphbians are sensitive creatures. We have lived here for over 20 yrs,I don't care for all these chemicals in my food,in my garden and messing up my ecosytem(ok garden:lol2:)I know what goes on here and feel pretty comfortable about using food here.I even use live wild grub from my water butts to feed my tadpoles.

For a beginner I/WE!!!! do ok,we loose very little and the frogs we turn out are,beating some parents for size.So already after just a couple of years at this,I'm utterly convinced that the "wild" part of our frogs diet is worth those risks. There is no doubt in my mind on this,tis what I did as a kid... and I love the fact that I still hunt frog grub and play being a kid again, is best for our frogs. But those risks are there and you should definitely be aware before undertaking wild stuff.

I'll end with this,tinc kids are notorious for not reaching the same size as their wild counter parts. I know already that some of our F1 kids have matched an adult azzie,in under a year. If I can get the attachis to the same size as mum and dad,then that won't be other than the wild stuff they got as little froglets/tadpoles. I'm very passionate about this.It IS not the easy way,it is NOT for everyone,but anyone will be hard pressed to show me that the wild constituent of our frogs frogs diet isn't worth that bit extra effort,
bring it on

Stu

Reactions: Ron Magpie

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Ron sorry for the overlaps
I type damn slow:mf_dribble:
best
Stu

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ron and stu you legends :) plenty of info, im going out for a hunt now .i am finding stu my frogs seem to be small but i dont know if its just me being silly :/ any plants mosses you can use? i tend to take cutting of anythink i can find atm
many thanks brynn-fish

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
ron and stu you legends :) plenty of info, im going out for a hunt now .i am finding stu my frogs seem to be small but i dont know if its just me being silly :/ any plants mosses you can use? i tend to take cutting of anythink i can find atm
many thanks brynn-fish
Brynn there are a few ferns out there that are good,Polypodium vulgare is probably the best,keep their feet dry,and I think Blecham spicant is another,i might be wrong there though,I know the plant,but my ID could be incorrect. Most will get too big,so restrict the amount of subs,they have available.some native mosses will die over time,but some will survive....no idea on species ,but collect off the ground,minimising the risk of chytrid or RV.Most of our native phibs don't climb and get permission to collect!!

Size of tincs is related firstly to morph: they are not all the same size in the wild. Beyond that they need a constant and regular supply of good grub whilst growing.Brynn that's where i'm at now.From what i've seen so far you'll struggle to get them fat,until they stop growing, as they eat alot and are active frogs.But tis possible to over feed almost all darts,the thing to do is watch their weight and back off if you do see them gaining too much,at the same time give them enough,to keep them growing. I think most "newer" folk possibly don't feed enough to growing tincs,maybe that is part of the problem,why some don't get to the size they should,but it is difficult to appraise.
Finally make sure they get good vit supps we use repashy
regards

Stu

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brynn there are a few ferns out there that are good,Polypodium vulgare is probably the best,keep their feet dry,and I think Blecham spicant is another,i might be wrong there though,I know the plant,but my ID could be incorrect. Most will get too big,so restrict the amount of subs,they have available.some native mosses will die over time,but some will survive....no idea on species ,but collect off the ground,minimising the risk of chytrid or RV.Most of our native phibs don't climb and get permission to collect!!

Size of tincs is related firstly to morph: they are not all the same size in the wild. Beyond that they need a constant and regular supply of good grub whilst growing.Brynn that's where i'm at now.From what i've seen so far you'll struggle to get them fat,until they stop growing, as they eat alot and are active frogs.But tis possible to over feed almost all darts,the thing to do is watch their weight and back off if you do see them gaining too much,at the same time give them enough,to keep them growing. I think most "newer" folk possibly don't feed enough to growing tincs,maybe that is part of the problem,why some don't get to the size they should,but it is difficult to appraise.
Finally make sure they get good vit supps we use repashy
regards

Stu
i use a calcium+d3 once a week and a multi-vitamin once a week aswell but on diferent days, there tinc alanis, cute lil guys lol. i tend to feed about 5-10 flys per frog and once a week throw in some springtails. iv just noticed im gettin some mites in my cultures.. how do i get rid of them or prevent them ? iv heard about mite paper but where do you get that from?
thanks brynn-fish

·
Registered
254 Posts
Aphids are taken with relish by my frogs (commonaly called Black Fly & Green Fly in the UK)

These can always be found in the summer and I have found that they are attracted to our rose bushes. Grow a couple of Pea or Runner Bean plants if you dont have roses - they seem to swarm to them in large numbers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aphids are taken with relish by my frogs (commonaly called Black Fly & Green Fly in the UK)

These can always be found in the summer and I have found that they are attracted to our rose bushes. Grow a couple of Pea or Runner Bean plants if you dont have roses - they seem to swarm to them in large numbers.
iv got some runner beans in the garden :D ill have to wait for it to warm up :(
brynn-fish

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
i use a calcium+d3 once a week and a multi-vitamin once a week aswell but on diferent days, there tinc alanis, cute lil guys lol. i tend to feed about 5-10 flys per frog and once a week throw in some springtails. iv just noticed im gettin some mites in my cultures.. how do i get rid of them or prevent them ? iv heard about mite paper but where do you get that from?
thanks brynn-fish
Brynn tis very difficult to give you a clear guideline as to number of ff,so much depends on the size of frog and ff for that matter.Look try thinking about this in a different way,feed abit heavier and find out what they can eat,then pull back from there . If you feed say 50 flies and most are left next day,well probably you have overdone it, so pull back abit until you find what they will eat roughly. Then watch that weight!!They will look fat after they have just stuffed their faces,but will probably look different the next day,slimmer.I think it is pretty hard to get a growing tinc fat,but much easier to not give enough. Watching the frogs and judging this by looking at them is all.
Bryn it is VERY important to get over that some other young darts do not need feeding like tincs do and will suffer and get obese if overfed.

Berksmike,made a post here about using a mite spray to make your own mite paper,use the search function to find it.You can buy mite paper from dartfrog.co.uk. Stand all your cultures on it so they don't touch and mites can't get from one culture to another.Everyone has mites it is a damage limitation exercise,they can be a right pain in springtail cultures. If you have a dig through my room thread you'll find an idea to separate ff from mites,but I'll again let you find that:lol2: i won't make it too easy,i got some frogs to talk too.

Stu

Reactions: brynnjenkins

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
just a side note:
made a trip to an area between m/cr an sheffield :whistling2: when needing to carpet my fire belly toads abode with moss probs 2 1/2yrs ago now. permanently borrowed a sq foot of moss from a shaded part of the woods of a large branch. apart from the welcome addition of new plant life i have counted 9 types of "bugs"(esp after lights out)that i've noticed in the viv. i find myself more fascinated with this micro eco-system more than the toads now, sad i know, but just putting another thought for your bug collection poser.
i still have half of this moss in a goldfish bowl in the back yard that is as fresh as when collected but no life will be in there as it drowns often!.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts