Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I am having bad trouble feeding my corn snake, Had him for a while now but he's only eatne one mouse, even though he ate perfectly fine where we got him. 2 adult mice a week.

He hasnt lost weight and seems healthy so im not to scared, but I know the cause maybe.

Do snakes ever stop feeding in the weeks coming up to shed?

Cause This morning his skin was blueish, and his eyes are misty.

And last night he was moving about over his logs and hides, and spent a while sitting in his water bowl.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
sum do sum dont man ive had snakes that will still eat while in blue
yeah had a corn that wouldn't stop eating no matter what.

but yeah they do stop quite often, when shedding. the old skin can act like a gastric band so they tend to lose there apptight.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right thanks everyone. He looks really weird with his skin all dull. :blush:

I'll try again soon, and leave it in there longer, maybe he'll be more hungry when he's finished shedding.

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Right thanks everyone. He looks really weird with his skin all dull. :blush:

I'll try again soon, and leave it in there longer, maybe he'll be more hungry when he's finished shedding.
to be honest i wouldn't bother it can do more harm than good. leave it till after it has shed.

it will go normall colour then it will shed. try not to handle it too, you have more chnace of getting biten.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to be honest i wouldn't bother it can do more harm than good. leave it till after it has shed.

it will go normall colour then it will shed. try not to handle it too, you have more chnace of getting biten.
Will do thanks. :2thumb:

Should I leave it a week after he's shed, so he has time to settle again?

·
Registered
213 Posts
· Generally most snakes will go off their food when due for a shed. But you get the odd ones that don’t. However it’s not supposed to be to good at all to feed them during shed.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Will do thanks. :2thumb:

Should I leave it a week after he's shed, so he has time to settle again?

once he has shed you should be able to feed him , generally with mine they shed at 3 ish in the morning (not exactly obv) and i notice in the morning when i get up and remove it from the viv, then when i get home from work that same day i feed then, hope that ramble makes sense!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts