Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My avic is acting like one ive seen die before, its all balled up and it cant move properly. Was in bad condition when i got it. Looks like the legs refuse to go outwards. ANyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Im going up there thursday and punching her in the face!!!:cussing:No more animals will die because of them!!!!!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Bloody hell thats awful, poor little avic :(

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have to watch it doesn't spred to the rest of my collection or i will have to put them down too. At the moment there is no cure for phorids any any spider infected will die. Sprinkles body is being sent for research on curing phorids as soon as bex gets me the address.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
exoticpets.co.uk again?
Pauls pets in caerphilie. I think this is the last straw, im writing a complaint to the council soon. Just need to find out who to send it too.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
exoticpets.co.uk again?
Nope a god awful petshop that think a 2 foot viv is ok for a 2 ft nile monitor, that its ok to try and tell somebody that an obviously dead gecko is shedding, that no animals need hides/water/food and that if you put a kitten in a dog crate off the ground and leave it open, that the cat wont fall through the gaps in the bars and get their legs stuck!!:censor: Ive :censor: had it with this place! They had 6 :censor: kittens in a 2 tier :censor: hamster cage!!! A dead royal squashed up against the glass!!!

Ive complained to the council 13 times! Ive phoned the RSPCA! Ive even told the police who wouldnt do anything! They've been shut down a couple of times but just keep getting their licence back! Its wrong!!!!!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Shame about Sprinkles :sad: RIP
If I've acquired a spider infected with phorids how long is it until I can tell its got them???

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I've acquired a spider infected with phorids how long is it until I can tell its got them???
Check for swollen grabbers (chelcia or something), and them running out of holes in the spiders underside near the fangs. Dont know how long it will take to see if you have them.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Basically, if the legs start being all wibbly and useless, and u see mites on their fangs then thats probablly gonna be it (only saying what I've just witnessed-theres probably more). Just checked my red knee and she flicked at me and caught me in the :censor: hand! Another thing to 'thank' them for on thursday!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Thanks, will keep a look out. : victory:

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Nematodes are an internal parasite. The signs are:

White foam around the mouth parts. When your spider is against the glass check the mouth. If you see fluid or thin white worms, that look like string, thats nematodes.

They paralyze the chelicerae so the spider will refuse food, or pounce on food but can't eat it.

Once they're established the spider will be crippled. Death curling, twitching, curled in a ball.

Any spider who gets this should be seperated from the rest of the collection, put in the freezer to cease the poor things suffering. The tank, equipment etc should be thoroughly disinfected.

To stop it passing between spiders DO NOT EVER take uneaten crickets out of one spider and feed it to another. This spreads them.
Also sterilize tweezers etc

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Avic...how do things like this get into/onto the animal?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nope a god awful petshop that think a 2 foot viv is ok for a 2 ft nile monitor, that its ok to try and tell somebody that an obviously dead gecko is shedding, that no animals need hides/water/food and that if you put a kitten in a dog crate off the ground and leave it open, that the cat wont fall through the gaps in the bars and get their legs stuck!!:censor: Ive :censor: had it with this place! They had 6 :censor: kittens in a 2 tier :censor: hamster cage!!! A dead royal squashed up against the glass!!!

Ive complained to the council 13 times! Ive phoned the RSPCA! Ive even told the police who wouldnt do anything! They've been shut down a couple of times but just keep getting their licence back! Its wrong!!!!!
Its always really really hard getting the council or the RSPCA to listen, theyre both horrendously useless, but this place sounds horrific, my friends held an extremely successful campaign against an awful pet shop, but it was quite a bit of work but the guy doesnt sell any living animals any more.
Where is this pet shop?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts