1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heya

:welcome:

are chameleons easy to keep...?
do i have to get a night bulb as some people have night lights of for them??

are they chameleons tam???

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I think you should meet up with a few chammy keepers and really look into them first.....
They are not as easy as Bd and gecko's

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kk cheers will do that

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any more info ?????????

:welcome:

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Hi what type of cham are you thinking of getting? You wont need a night light because chams like to sleep in the dark if you have a light on they dont go into a proper sleep. The main thing about getting a cham is choose the type you want then do as much research as you can possibly do, read books surf the net and go onto a cham forum and ask as many questions as you can think of that way you will be more than prepaired for what lies ahead. :2thumb:

·
Registered
476 Posts
A veiled/Yemen chameleon is the best for beginners. I got my baby male veiled about a month ago now and he is doing great. I dont have a nightlight for him. he just has his heat bulb and UV bulb on during the day.
He does come out for a little hold about twice a week but is starting to get a bit grumpy. Depends on their personality if they like being held or not.

·
Registered
815 Posts
do plenty of reading, prepare yourself for buying all equipment and once set up is ready find a baby cham and go for it.

If you will be able to buy your cham from a private breeder it will be much better for you since breeders are always helpful.

yemen is a nice starter cham - you can buy baby for a 30 pounds and it's more hardy than other ones.

If you will have any questions feel free to contact me

(I have a screen terrarium and lights which i used for my baby cham for about 3 months and it's looking for new owner ;) )

just be careful - they addictive !!!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Just out of interest how come everyone always goes for Yemens first i do get the more hardy bit but really if you do your homework then why not just get the type you like best that way you are more likely to give it the care and attention it deserves. I am not having a dig at anyone with this comment its just when i wanted a cham i got the old get a Yemen they are easier replies which is daft cause whats an easy cham supposed to mean they all need the same things heat, light, food and humidity, you wouldnt say to someone go get a yorkshire terrier they are a easy dog if they asked for info on keeping a dog. In my case i really wanted a panther from the start and now have five and it aint rocket science to keep them they are thriving with the right setup same as a Yemen would no doubt and much more handleable and sociable than Yemens judging by some of the comments on grumpy Yemen males. Like i said i aint having a dig at anybody just get a bit fed up of seeing people label any cham as easy and always point people towards Yemens when it might not be what they really want and then they get sick of it in a few months when it is unmanagable you only have to check out the amount of adult Yemens compaired to Panthers int he Classifieds to back up this statement.

·
Registered
200 Posts
always make sure you are clued up before you buy a cham especially a baby. i have got about 60 odd babys at the mo. but as everyone else says ,do your research and plenty of it before you go and buy. there is a very good care sheet on this forum in the info section .good luck :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks...

will do research... then have to get some money first

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cham

hiya

got a chameleon now, named it buddy
see my album for pictures of him

·
Registered
6,419 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chameleon pics

my chameleon

·
Registered
953 Posts
i'm no expert on chams but from what i've gathered, glass isnt really an appropriate living arrangement.

plus your viv could do with a lot more leaves etc, as he has got no where to feel 'safe' as he is pretty much out in the open all the time.

also, your gonna have to move him/her onto a viv nearly 2x2x4 for adult males, and maybe 3ft high for females.

please correct me if i am wrong people. i know i probably am

Dan

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
thats a lovely looking yemen..looks healthy to..a female?have you just got the 1 or a pair?i have a yemen//mine is a male tho 5 months old..

the tank looks tiny for the size of chameleon.you need to upgrade a.s.a.p..it looks about 5 months old give or take a month,it should be in a 100 gallon mesh tank really..:) how big is that tank?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
mine is the same size and it lives in a 100 gallon tank..it explores the hole tank every day..

mine still needs work but u get the idea..

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
that's a 45cm cube isn't it ?
too small!!!

my cham is pretty much sam size and age and his in that! 2'x2'x4'
how have u got the vines set up./.u know,the ones that twist and bend..i have a few but im finding it hard to attach them/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts