Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never bred snakes before and wonder if baby hoggies sell well - I'm not into just making money but it would be silly to breed them and end up with lots of babies no-one wants. I wonder this because our adult female was around in a reptile store for about a year until we got her, same with this male (different shop).

My big 3ft adult hoggie (unknown age but at least 2) has just come out of her brumation period by eating for me a couple of days ago. I love hoggies and there is an adult male in our local reptile place that keeps asking me to buy him whenever I go in there :rolleyes:

I know I'll need to feed her up quite a bit before putting her in with him (if I do get him and go along this route).

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I think there is a market for baby hoggies... just depends on how long you willing to keep hold of them before you sell. You could probably get rid of them all on one swoop by selling to rep shops but then would you be happy to do that?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not really. TBH knowing me I probably wouldn't want to part with any of my babies :(

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Recently they seem to be more popular as people are not breeding them as readily. I think you would manage to sell them pretty quickly.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
There is certainly a good market for hoggies, I wont be breeding this year but have been inundated with requests! These little snakes seem to be getting more and more popular.
They are also easy breeders with a very low tendancy towards dystocia, which is always useful! :cool:

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I hate that word, dystocia. Always makes me think of Slimfast for some reason:confused: (don't ask me why).

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
retained eggs? Must admit that worries me and when I first got my BP I said I'd never breed her in case anything went wrong.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Dystocia means "difficult parturition" so in ovoviviparous snakes its basically retained eggs yes. This doesnt seem to be a problem in hogs, im not sure why but they actually seem able to dispel the bad eggs first, before producing their fertile eggs.

Crazy little guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts