Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never kept one before...can i have some info on them pls...i want a baby one...what prices are they?
what do they eat
easy to tame
need uv?
etc

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
are u joking?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Ours dont have UV but some keepers do use it. Prices for babies are around £39. Our baby isnt snappy but thats not to say he wont be in a couple of month, Don the bigger bosc is pretty calm but I wont go near him. You will probably be ok being used to large snakes but I prefare something I can hold in one hand :lol: Don eats rat weaners, chicks, locust and morio worms and he has boiled eggs, snails and the odd piece of bacon for a treat. The baby has crickets, morio, wax worms and we tried a pinkie this morning but he didnt eat it but he only came home to us yesterday so he might just be settling in. :D

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
lnvexotics said:
never kept one before...can i have some info on them pls...i want a baby one...what prices are they?
what do they eat
easy to tame
need uv?
etc
What I would do is go to the caresheet's section and take a look at Blazeys caresheet. Just an idea :wink:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
sorry wasnt being rude, its just in light of a couple other threads that have been about tonight inc with regards to uv etc.
sorry.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
are thought u answered that way because anyone with reps would know they could read all the answers to those questions on a caresheet :p fair enough if you were a beginner lol :p

we had a discussion about UV last night though, I dont use it but Dean does. No proper research been done yet to say UV is needed with boscs but its been seen that it improves their behavior. However I'm sure someone was going on about research was being done to say Iggies dont need UV when everyone always uses it so I supppose research can go either way, though ive not looked for the latter research myself.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I use uv, and thumper actually 'basks' under the tube. until its proven with out doubt that its not needed I refuse to risk the health of my animal for the sake of £20 every 6 months.
Thumper also gets time outside when the weather allows.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
I think it'd be great for you to get a bosc. They're lovely animals. My favourite lizard by far. Have you ever had chance to handle one?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
boscs are nice lizards but can be hard to tame them unless you get captive bred one they do tame down with age but you need alot of patience i think alot of people that get boscs get a bit dissheartened when they have a little monitor hissing and whiping them they end up thinking tthis will never tame down and i dont want a 4ft lizard biteing me
what alot of people forget is they should treat tameing down as fun youve just got to earn its trust so if you decide to get one just be patient with it
i own a tegu and all though its a bit skittish as its still a juvie it doesnt have the aggresson of a bosc they are known for be extreamly docile

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i think getting the chameleon to be nice was harder but some people have no problems with theirs, mine was like devil reincarnate.

plus i havent seen a CB bosc yet, always CF.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i prosume you'll be getting a bigger viv eventually? what other heat source you goina use?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
oh brill wasn't sure if you were just goina use mat lol :oops:
that should be fine but do keep an eye on it to make sure bosc isnt digging near it as they can get electricuted.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
what ive done in my viv is put half a side of soil and half a side of wood chip. the heat mats under the woodchip securely taped down and then her has his soily side if he wants to dig, though he hasnt even been much of a digger, but he tends to put his head under sometimes and lift it all up on his head, he's crazy wehn he gets soil lol. gonna take some pics later of his viv cuz its starting to look good in my opinion :p

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
well going to get some background paper now for it, havent had this viv very long yet and its starting to look more natural and Dons very happy in it :)

Lnvex, you have kept huge snakes and I am pretty confident you will have no problem at all with a bosc, I had hardly any rep experience other than leos and a waterdragon before Don and I dont struggle that much, though i have faced some problems.
Ellie, i dont know what u have kept but again, just do your research and be confident u have everything u need for a bosc and then i say go for it, they are well worth it.

Good Luck to both of you, there are many bosc keepers on here with varied amounts of knowledge to offer you, some who have kept ages, some who have kept months, but all have bits and pieces of knowledge to teach eachother and different technieques to suit the keeper, so your bound to find the best ways for you!
Good Luck with your future buscys :D i'll post piccys later of my set up :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts