Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am really badlly wanting to get a common boa. So here are a few questions.

Are they aggressive? If so how easy are they to tame?

How quick do they grow on a good diet?

Is it recomended to own one if you live on your own, i.e if i handle it when it is fully grown and it goes for me would it constrict me and how easy would it be for me to get it off ?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
hi,great snake to keep,ive got six n none of them give me any hassel,i got a baby recently which had attitude but after a week it totally became tame,i feed my babies twice a week,my adult once a fortnite,they can grow up ta 3-4ft if power feed in 1st year year n half but i wudnt over feed,it aint good for the snake.hope u get 1 and enjoy it as i do mine:2thumb:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've never had any problems with Boas. Usually great eaters, not like the fussy Royals. My female common Boa went from this size

To this size

in one year. She is just over 4.5 feet now. No power feeding involved, just once per week feeding gradually increasing from fuzzys as a baby up to the medium size rats she is on now.
None of mine have ever shown aggression except as a hatchlings when a bit of "attitude" was shown, but that usually disappeared as soon as they were picked up. Only been tagged once, and that was my fault when she got a scare one time when I nearly dropped her.

Boas are great.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
they grow at a gd rate but not to fast depends on how much you feed and we have loads and they are all fine have there moments now and again but thats because we dnt handle them that often

luke

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i have one i got this year. a female.i put her in 2ft viv around a month ago, but will now have to move her to another 3ft viv asap. and i dont power feed. she is not aggresive, but tends to think everytime the door slides open its feed time. to get over this i go in right hand door at feed times, and left hand door any other time. she has learnt that when i go in left hand door it means no food. if that makes any sense?????
when she grows to full size i dont think i will take her out unless there is someone else in the house, but then im only 5ft 2in.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
seems everything is covered in the above posts
regards gaz

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have any Pics of themselves handling a fully grown adult. It will give me a good indication of size.... Cheers

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
as with all snakes sizes are a guide line, they can grow bigger or smaller than the average "normal" size, not to worry you as this is probably a rare case but here is a link to an enormous Boa http://www.boa-constrictors.com/Bilder/BigBoa.jpg but they tend to be smaller than that. I have an 07 Common boa who is a darling although I did start off with different smaller species such as Royals and Rats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts