Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I now want a snake to add to my collection of lizards. It was sad that my mates snake passed away in my care but I feel I did more for it in 24 hours than what the dam shop that's been open for ages! he was clearly given the false info on how to look after it!

So my question is to you guys......

What would be a your choice of snake? I want something that isn't your general run of the mill snake but also something that doesn't grow to a monster. I have chameleons so I am used to looking after something that has slightly higher requirements than usual

They have a rainbow boa in the shop I use that's about 13 months old and about 3ft in length. I really like the coloration of them but are they good snakes to handle a fair amount etc?

What are your views and favourites an why???

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
You will need to decide what you want from the snake... answer the below and it will become a lot easier to recomend species!

1) How large an enclosure can you fit in your house? This will give you an idea of the size snake you can house.

2) When would you like the snake to be active? ie, Diurnal, Nocturnal etc...

3) What attitude would you prefer? Do you want something you can handle - or is 'look don't touch' ok with you?

4) How much do you want to spend?

Brb's are not a bad choice.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
if you want to handle your snake a lot go for a royal. if its just a show piece go for a green tree python , there will be lots more suggestions in the coming days that's just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd suggest corn/king/milk snakes as a first snake and for regular handling. Royals can be great, but if they have feeding problems then handling regularly will be off the cards whilst you get it eating.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well viv size isn't a massive problem within reason say 4x2x2 max.

I work all day so evenings will be best to handle but the misses is at home most of the say so tree is a possibility she could handle during the day.

I want something I can interact with. My Cham is a pissy sod but hen he is out he loves it so I know handling requirements can be limited with different species

·
Registered
6,059 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
So are the rainbow boa not a good species for interacting with etc?
We have a 4 year old female brb and she's easily my favourite snake. They are mostly active in the evenings/night but if we open up her viv during the day she comes out readily enough and is so inquisitive, really easy to handle and stunning to look at! She has a lovely temperament and strength you wouldn't believe for her size!
As long as you do your research on their care there's no reason a rainbow boa shouldn't be your first snake if that's what you want.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do like the look of them and from what I was told they are a reasonable size. I would never just jump into getting anything it too me about 4 months tiger my Cham and that was constant reading etc and setting the viv up before I did so I knew it was within the requirements of him. I see there are a few different types. I can't remember what she was though, sort of dark brown with a pattern just coming trough Any ideas?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most probably a brb or crb depending on age. Brb's retain their patterns whereas crb's fade out as they get older until they look just brown, although if you look hard enough you can just about make out a pattern.

This is our brb - if the pattern isn't showing like this it's most likely a crb

What size viv would they need?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I agree that a Rainbow Boa is a good choice.

Other votes go for a Russian Ratsnake (very inquisitive, but not bitey, great to handle), Florida Kingsnake (similar to Russian Rat, but with huge feeding response!).

My best snake for handling is my burm, but I think you're going to need a bigger viv (sound's a bit like a line from Jaws.....). If there's any way you can find the room, that would be my recommendation!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I was just looking online (meant to be working) and I like the look of BRB hight orange. What are the different requirements for male and females?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I can get a normal BRB for £100 from where I normally get anything. Is that a good price for a 2-3 month old or would you not suggest getting one that young?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Can't beat a good pit :)

Bull, pines etc. Lots of attitude, lots of bluff, great to handle, really active and amazing colouration!!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
No different requirements for males and females really. Females get bigger of course.

As babies they usually require high humidity - around 85%. That being said my female didn't like humidity, my male loves it.

Need a good area to roam and climb as they love to climb a lot. Nice large water bowl and a nice moist hide box.

Getting them young is probably your best bet but make sure you have one with a good feeding record. My female was eating when we got her but stopped. I spent a good 4 - 6 months force and then assist feeding her. She's great now, brilliant striker and never misses a feed!

Great first snake as long as you do your homework and get the husbandry right.

Best thing to remember is each snake is different with regards to it's requirements.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts