Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with my Mum and Dad today to our local shop to stock up on livefoods etc, and in the reptile section there was a guy holding a critter keeper with 3 leos in it. At first glance, I just noticed that one was a blazzing blizzard, and they caught my eye.
I then noticed that they guy holding the container seemed very angry. I went over with my Mum and we noticed what an appalling state the lizards were in.

The man told us that he had brought the 3 leos down a couple of weeks ago to the shop and they shop had taken them in and were going to re-sell them.

The man had come down today and seen the state that they were in, and had confronted the staff about it. He then found out that they had not been fed anything for 2 weeks! :mad:
He told the staff that he was taking them back, which he did, and because I had shown interest he told me and my Mum what had happened, and I said that if he wanted a new home for them then I would take them, and my Mum agreed. The man only asked for £20 for them, he was just glad to get them out of the shop. We bought them and took them home straight away.

The man seemed like a genuine herp keeper and was concerned for the lizards, and obviously fuming at the pet shop staff for not caring for them.

The poor little things are stick thin - 2 of them had so much old shed around their heads that they couldnt open their eyes. :(
There is 1 male, and 2 females. 1 female is a blazzing blizzard, 1 is a blizzard but has very pale orangey bands which can be seen when under the light, and the male, Im not too sure on his morph but he isnt a normal, Im just researching now to see if I can find out what he is.

Luckily I had a spare viv, and Ive put the leos into it with hides, a moist hide, obviously water and heat lamp and light, which also gives off heat, and I tried hand-feeding them a couple of waxys but then wouldnt take them.

They all also seemed very dehydrated so I dropped water onto the ends of their noses with a syringe, luckily they all took alot of water and starting to perk up a bit.

The male and the female with lots of retained shed are now wandering around rubbing their heads on bits of the wood and are now able to take the old shed off of them. I am worried about the blazzing blizzard, as it was her that had so much shed she couldnt open her eyes or her mouth, and she is the thinnest, so Im just hoping that I dont loose her. (Well obviously I hope that I dont loose any of them :S)

I put a few crickets into the viv - I dont like doing this as I worry about the crix eating through the lizards! - and sat and watched them, and all three of the leos went after the crix, which I think is a good sign.

I also sprayed the viv with water to keep it damp and hopefully help the 2 leos shed the remaining old skin.

I have dropped a bit more water onto their noses, which they are continuing to drink, but they do have their water bowl there anyway.

When the lights turn off later, I was attempt to feed them a couple of waxys again.

Is there anything else that I can be doing? I really want to save these 3 - and I am hopeful so far because they seem really alert now and hunting etc.

Sorry for the long post!
Thanks in advance for replies!
:D

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
:(
well done you.
did they not eat for 2 weeks beacuse they werent offered food, or beacuse of somthign underlying?

have you got any photos :(

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
yeah seperate them as they are too thin to breed, if they are going after crickets thats great, and if they are drinking thats good, did they manage to catch any crickets? or did the miss? ide try handfeeding crickets if they are wanting them but arent fast enough, also name and shame the shop!! and good on you for taking them on! and at a great price too!

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Put the male in an RUB, or plastic tank, won't hurt him for now. Her will breed with the girls, if her hasn't alreayd, which could kill the skinny girls.

GREAT JOB on getting them,

i would also, get a damp clothe of some sort and gently rub the girls head, where the old skin is. Be slow and patient, it may get some off.

Keep giving the water as you are and also leave a bowl of wax/meal worms in, they may take them on their own.

GOOD LUCK, FINGERS CROSSED FOR YOU

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thank you guys :)

I did think about seperating him but I only had one spare viv, should I put him back in critter keeper with some water and a hide, and then put the keeper back in the viv? Its just otherwise he might get cold..?

Freekygeeky, they havent been fed for 2 weeks because they hadnt been offered anything :censor:
They all managed to catch at least one cricket each, and yes I will put a bowl of mealies in the viv for them :D

I will take pictures in a little while, just wanted them to settle down a bit first. But there will be pics later!

Thanks for the idea about the cloth Steph, will try that!

**nameshamenotallowed**

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
ide try hand feeding as many crickets as they want really

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
thats mental, well done you, and good luck, seperate him, put him in a lunch box, or the critter keeper etc etc or pation the viv :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's horrible, well done you :eek:) i'm definitely no expert but when one of my girls wouldn't eat i managed to get her interested by mushing up waxies and painting a dab on the end of her nose with a cotton bud, then she licked it off and got a taste for them...plus the cotton buds come in useful for soaking in warm water and gently dabbing to get bits of shed off too, especially on the face. Good luck, hope they all pull through!

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
get a pic of the one our not sure of the morph up and il try tell ya what it is?
well done for taking em!
looks like uve got a bargain too hopefully theyll all be ok

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nice one, well played :notworthy:

What about some of that stuff you can buy to feed lizards etc that arent in the best of health. Cant for the life of me remember what its called but I suppose you could say its like a very nutritional tonic. Wait until someone experienced says yes or no on that but I thought I must just throw it in.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Nice one, well played :notworthy:

What about some of that stuff you can buy to feed lizards etc that arent in the best of health. Cant for the life of me remember what its called but I suppose you could say its like a very nutritional tonic. Wait until someone experienced says yes or no on that but I thought I must just throw it in.
do you mean reptoboost,it may be worth ago.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well done for taking on those poor little geckos!! I hope they pull through, keep us posted please:)

Sarah x

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
well done..

might be worth a vet check though, maybe if the shop cant be responsible for a simple task as feeding, out the back there may be more issues!..

wax worms will heklp them, with a pillet drop some water onto there nose, they will drink it..:)

all the best, and well done!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all the replies.
One of the females seems quite happy, she is a little underweight but ate alot of crix earlier, and apart from that she seems okay :) One thing about her though, she curled right up in the water bowl and fell asleep, obviously her head was resting on the side of the bowl but the rest of her body is completely submerged underwater. Is this normal? None of my other leos have done this! The water isnt very deep, but obviously it is just enough to cover her.

Secondly, the male has eaten 4 waxys. I wouldnt normally give them that much but given his condition I think it will help him to gain weight! He is the only one of them to take waxys so far, but at least he is eating.

The male and the skinniest female also have no toes :( most probably from where they have had so much retained shed in the past, they are all stumpy, poor things.

I am also still worried about the skinniest female, she is still trying to remove all the old shed around her head but some of it has been there for so long and her mouth looks very sore, like I said earlier it was completely covering her eyes and her nose (!) She has now managed to take the skin off from one side of her head, and has uncovered one eye, but she wont open the eye :S I sat with a bowl of warm water and a cotton bud and I was gently wiping the cotton bud around her head to try and soften the skin, she seemed to quite enjoy it and then when I put her back in the viv she then continued to rub around the wood to get it off, some of it came off a bit easier but it seems quite 'crusty' around her snout, her gums look red and quite sore. Is there anything I should put on this? Or should I take her to the vet? Obviously I dont mind taking her to the vet but if there is something that I can do at home for her.. ?

I keep offering them all water from a syringe and dripping it onto their nose, luckily all of them are drinking quite alot at a time which I am happy about, and I read in another post that FreekGeeky uses/used prescription cat food for a leo that has a brain tumour? One of our Persians has prescription SD diet and I offered a tiny bit of that to them all, the male and the biggest female took some, but the little one didnt :(

I also offered some baby food on a syringe to them (which my other leos love and go mad for!) and the male took some.

Im just trying to offer them as many different types of food as I can at the moment because I just want to get them healthy again, whatever it takes!

I think it is disgusting how any person can let any animal get in this state! :censor:

I will post some pictures later, I am thinking now that the male probably is a normal, he just has very unusual markings and patterns.

Thank you again, sorry for yet another lengthy post!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE
Luckily this morning they are all still here and still all active, I have given them more water from the syringe which they all took lots of, and offered them all waxys but only the male (now named Herbie) took some, but he took 4.

I also sprayed the viv and the moist hide to help them get all the old shed off of them, and the skinniest female still has alot crusted around her mouth, so I took a cotton bud and some warm water and I keep wiping around her snout for her which she seems to enjoy, but I also hope that it will help soften it, because she still wont open her eyes so she cant hunt, and even though I am hand feeding them she cant see the crix and waxys!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
taking thejm on is certainly admirable but be very careful about bringing an illness into your own collection.

I would also be worried that there is more to this than meets the eye.

Leopard geckos will not get super skinny after two weeks of not being fed, neither will they shed enough times in this period (especially if not eating!!) to cause themselves a problem.

I personally would be taking fecal samples to the vets at the very least.

If they've only been in the shop for a fortnight chances are thye were bad to begin with. I'd be concerned you have an underlying reason for thir condition such as an illness.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts