Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking online for the past couple of days and can't find the answer to this one way or the other.

Is there any reason (apart from the possibility of losing fingers lol ) that if my little ones are having a bad shed I can't pick it off in the bath tub after soaking?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
You risk pulling off scales. Its safer to let your animal do it, itself.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
A dumb question would be "Who is that person i keep seeing in the mirror"

I was taught that a snake not shedding properly was either not getting the right nutritional quantities but it isn't that simple. It happens for many reasons.

What species is it?

It may be that you just aren't getting the humidity in the vivarium high enough over a prolonged period.

Some people add humid hides (moss in a box) to help with this, some move water bowls over/under the heat source and some spray the viv every now and again.
If it's only a small snake (less than 10ft) then you can just pop it in a tub with luke warm water for an hour or so when the eyes go cloudy.

This is the period (that you can see) that they need it the most as they lubricate the new skin with fluids to aid the shedding.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
you're better off misting the viv (put some S Moss i there or in a hide in there and keep it moist. Huidity is good here assuming it's a species that's ok with it

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its actually my female royal I was asking for approx 3 1/2ft. She's got a moss hide and as soon as she turns blue she's in for 5 days of 1/2 hour soaks in the bath tub every shed time. Usually not a prob, sheds in one piece but randomly sometimes just sheds with bits stuck to her. Cheers for the quick responses guys.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Perfectly safe as long as you don't force it off. If it's ready to come off after a soak it should just come off on your hands as you handle the snake afterwards.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If I have any problems with shed a get a freshly washed towel (dried & no fabric conditioner so its rough) and dampen that and let the snake push itself through lots of times, works with any size snake really, either that or place the snake in a damp pillowcase for a while in a warm area. :)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the dumd question is are you smart we all know the answer :p

YOU SHOULD ALLWAYS LET SNAKES SHED ON THERE OWN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bash:
Im not sure if your having a dig or not (as the post doesn't really make any sense). I'm only asking as the research I've done wasn't giving me an answer either way. thanx

·
Registered
204 Posts
We had a young male corallus cooki that when we got him was dehydrated, and still had the original skin from his previous shed, and he was ready to shed again, so I raised the humidity in the tank and soaked him for 2-3 hours a day for one week.

This helped but most of the skin stayed on, I had to remove it my self, if I had not.................well.

He was left in a tub of water pretty much over night (he was constantly checked!) that covered his body.
The next day I peeled him with good results and he is now free of his old skin. And now fully recovered and hydrated and feeding again.

This was only a rare case, I let all the others shed them selves, if its a bad shed then they go in to a damp bag, with a peice of bark and left for 2-3 hours

If you are carefull then I doubt it would be a problem, But again take great care not to damage the scales, and Royals (I've read in "whats wrong with my snake") can have very delicate skin witch can easily be torn when there are dehydrated.
(this I assume is very rare thou).

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
the dumd question is are you smart we all know the answer :p

YOU SHOULD ALLWAYS LET SNAKES SHED ON THERE OWN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bash:
That is nonsense mate,sorry but the post is about what to do if the snake isn't shedding "on it's own!" Obviously something you haven't had to deal with yet,but with an attitude like that I hope you dont need to ask advice from others on here,what if they treated you the same way?
If you cant say anything constructive,then say nothing at all

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
back to the topic i bought one of my pimburas of a guy and he wasent in very good nick burn scaring all over the shot and old shead still attached so i put him on a intensive soakeing course thats 3 soakes a week in the bath whith shed ease lots of and kept his humidity 5 % higer than normal 1 month later he whent into shed had a full shead and got rid of all of the hard scales off his scares so try that just keep soaking the littil one for about 30 40 mins and like one of the other peps said rub him with a towel hope this helps it worked for me so hope it works for you

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Issa,

You started a thread previously about this didn't you? Did the advice not work?

It is simply repitition of the routine....let her soak, take her out, gently rub in the direction of the scales. with your perserverence, it will eventually come off.

TO THE CLOWN THAT SAID LEAVE IT TO SHED ITSELF...SIMON WOODALL

Some snakes, especially small snakes or hatchlings, can die as a result of the shed being left. As we know, when a snake sheds, moisture helps the snake shed it off. When you find a freshly shed skin, it is often tacky or sticky to the touch. If you leave a shed on a small snake, this moisture becomes sticky like glue, and the shed gets stuck. It has happened before that hatchlings have DIED as a result of an incomplete shed that adheres to the head and neck region, preventing respiration as the old skin tightens around the growing snake's neck and head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts