Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But can you put different species of turtles in the same tank?

I'm not intending to or anything just a random question really cause someone asked me today, I said no as a precaution kind of thing but just one of those questions really lol
Or will things like bacteria, illness, food etc be a problem?

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
This is actually a more accepted practice with turtle keepers than tortoise keepers.

This is a shot taken in the wild...

There are 3 different species on that log and I know there are 6 different species living in that pond.

Ed

But can you put different species of turtles in the same tank?

I'm not intending to or anything just a random question really cause someone asked me today, I said no as a precaution kind of thing but just one of those questions really lol
Or will things like bacteria, illness, food etc be a problem?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh cool
Yeah I was thinking that they would be together in the wild but I wasnt sure about captivity.

I like how they almost go in size order... :lol2:

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
What's kinda wierd that you mention it is that is what you normally see when there are a group of turtles basking on a log... the biggest in the middle and sloping down to the outside.

Ed

Ahh cool
Yeah I was thinking that they would be together in the wild but I wasnt sure about captivity.

I like how they almost go in size order... :lol2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was in Minehead about a month ago, whilst there we went to a place called tropiquaria (I think the spellin in right). They had a big 'exhibit' with about 15 different tortoises and turtles all in together. Off the top of my head some of the breeds where chinese soft shell turtle, hermans, horsefiels, snappers (not sure of details), red foot's. loads more but can not remember them all. They all seemed ex happy and they where all swimming together and basking. The only thing i noticed was that the leopards where in a totally seperate 'exhibit', with i might add the cuttest plated lizard.

When speaking to the lady who cares for the leopards about their diets, she said had a very relaxed opinion and said that they love Alpha-Alpha and they they eat all sorts of things. All of the leopards (think about 4-5) looked amazing with a small amount of pyramiding, but looked really healthy and seemed as happy as a tortoise can posibly look. I came out of the place feeling amazing about Samson. Considering how serious some people take their torts (which is really scary for a first timer) diets it was amazing to see these leo's the way they where.

Why is Pyramiding so bad in leopards and what should be done to prevent it?

Liz

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
all very bad tortoise keeping ^^^ because they all need different heat requirements, come from diff areas of the world, have PATHOGENS etc

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Your last line mad me laugh. I can imagine how the new keeper responds to us lunitics.

Heat and hydration... is the key. Genetics does play a part but the heat and hydration can be adjusted to compensate.

ed

I was in Minehead about a month ago, whilst there we went to a place called tropiquaria (I think the spellin in right). They had a big 'exhibit' with about 15 different tortoises and turtles all in together. Off the top of my head some of the breeds where chinese soft shell turtle, hermans, horsefiels, snappers (not sure of details), red foot's. loads more but can not remember them all. They all seemed ex happy and they where all swimming together and basking. The only thing i noticed was that the leopards where in a totally seperate 'exhibit', with i might add the cuttest plated lizard.

When speaking to the lady who cares for the leopards about their diets, she said had a very relaxed opinion and said that they love Alpha-Alpha and they they eat all sorts of things. All of the leopards (think about 4-5) looked amazing with a small amount of pyramiding, but looked really healthy and seemed as happy as a tortoise can posibly look. I came out of the place feeling amazing about Samson. Considering how serious some people take their torts (which is really scary for a first timer) diets it was amazing to see these leo's the way they where.

Why is Pyramiding so bad in leopards and what should be done to prevent it?

Liz

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
with a little understanding of chelonian biology you'll see the error of this statement.

The pathogens is a valid concern but if dealt with properly... a limited concern.

ed

all very bad tortoise keeping ^^^ because they all need different heat requirements, come from diff areas of the world, have PATHOGENS etc

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Personally... I like alpha-alpha... It might not have been intentional but it was clever and I didn't even notice but knew the point.

Ed

Alfalfa sounds more like it. All I know is that its used with horses!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So if Samson gets enough heat (i think he may be sun phobic tho) and drinks enough (which is no problem as when ever I handle him, when I put him back in his table I always place him in his water bowl, and he always drinks) then he in theory should not get pyramiding??

If a tort does have pyramiding can it cause problems or illness? or is it just a sign of a lack in something?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, here 's my two cents......again. I still keep my little three toed and my cherry head together in a 75 gal viv. Since they are both small, they both need the same requirements. Now I made a small enclosure for them outside for the summer, and they are still together. They both eat greens and veggies three times a week, fruit twice a week, and protein once a week. I was giving them mazuri during the winter months when I couldn't get any greens. So far things are working out fine. I don't know about the future.

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Beautiful point.

Pyramiding is not an indication of ill health or MBD.

Pyramiding is an adaptation. It serves a function.

I believe it has to do with the exchange of heat... but that's my personal theory.

ed

So if Samson gets enough heat (i think he may be sun phobic tho) and drinks enough (which is no problem as when ever I handle him, when I put him back in his table I always place him in his water bowl, and he always drinks) then he in theory should not get pyramiding??

If a tort does have pyramiding can it cause problems or illness? or is it just a sign of a lack in something?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome, at the college I'm going to they have a few torts like red and yellow foots together in this huge enclosure with green iguanas and it looks pretty awesome, I've seen torts kept together but alot of things are different with turtles usually so it seemed like a pretty good thing to find out.

I've only got my snake neck atm but now knowing that he may well have a couple of friends some time in the future when Ive learned a bit more about keeping them together and stuff : )

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Snake Necks are not the best choice for community turts, they often become aggressive and have to be separated.

If you want to keep a mixed community then species like sliders, cooters, maps etc... are much better, snake necks are best kept on their own.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well to be honest, mine is really agressive thinking about it, although he has no teeth or what seems like no teeth I guess he could do damage to another turtle.

Antisocial creature >: (

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
No turtle has teeth, but that doesn't stop them taking chunks out of each other when they want to, they can even bite through shell.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Three Toed and Cherry Head have been together since they were both hatchlings. I don't know what will happen when the Cherry Head grows bigger than the Three Toed, but for now they get along fine and both need the same requirements....heat..humidity. I try to feed them separately , but they always seem to end up eating together, so now I just put a dish in and let them eat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts