Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was watching animal planet this morning and Austin Stevens found a thorny devil!I fell in love with it. Can they be bought in this country or not because i would love one :lol2: . I also see a walabie for sale on the internet for £1500 I WANT I WANT

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
i was watching animal planet this morning and Austin Stevens found a thorny devil!I fell in love with it. Can they be bought in this country or not because i would love one :lol2: . I also see a walabie for sale on the internet for £1500 I WANT I WANT
That wallabie is WAYYYYY over priced for a start, a third of that is more appropriate.

Thorny devils are not available because of where they come from. On top of this it is VERY hard to feed them as they only feed on ants.

You may want to try a texas horned lizard though as they are similar in appearance, available and eat crickets.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Thorny devils ca be kept in US but ive never seen them for sale here. Main problrm is that they only eat a specific species of ant, and eat a HELL of alot of them so much its not really feasable to order it in. I know a couple of yanks who have them, but ive never seen the ants available here so i dont know if it'd be possible!! I saw that program and thought the same!! Have you seen sungazers? (cordylus cataphractus) they look vaguely similar and are readily available!!!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh is that what tombraider has/had?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Thorny devils ca be kept in US but ive never seen them for sale here. Main problrm is that they only eat a specific species of ant, and eat a HELL of alot of them so much its not really feasable to order it in. I know a couple of yanks who have them, but ive never seen the ants available here so i dont know if it'd be possible!!
Can you point me in the direction of any Australian thorny devil keepers outside of Australia please.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Just to clarify. To my knowledge the only ones available outside of Australia are the Texas horned lizards (Phrynosoma cornutum) and not Thorny devils (Moloch horridus)

Tombraider will have had horned lizards

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh i think thats the case, however is this only cos they arent atall captive bred and australia no longer allow exports?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
oop sorry was having a blonde moment again yes it is horned lizards i was thinking of! Still look awesome though! and still need Harvester ants!

sorry i just had an exam and my mind is still frazzled!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would love a thorny devil, but i would try and bring them up ondifferent food lol if i could. I do like that walabie though so cute

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
i would love a thorny devil, but i would try and bring them up ondifferent food lol if i could. I do like that walabie though so cute

What type of wallaby isit & as Dan says over priced, i can get a pair for less than that !

Thorny devils are awsome, i would love one, but you can't get them, although Rossthedon rescue had one, which they rehomed to a zoo, so they are about ... but i think they are only available for zoos etc as they can get all the foods etc

I bet there'd cost a bomb aswell:lol2:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm not sure what secies it was i know it wasn't a rock wallaby becaus there rare. I'll try 2 find out as i can't find the website but as son as i do i will post.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Many have tried and failed, a friend of mine did some research into this, apparently there is something in the harvester ant they depend on for survival that cant be found in other ants, also with the need for ventilation even if harvester ants were available on the market they'd be out through your air vents and all over your house in the blink of an eye

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
thorny devils cant be taken from their natural habitat. kind of the equivelant to the uks crested newt. they are protected by law to be kept in the wild and not removed.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
ive just watched it they are funny little lizards the perente was amazeing!!! as blazey said they are protected by the australian law and cant be removed from the wild
the same is said with all lizards from australia so there must be some captive bred in the same way all there other reps have come to us im sure they will fetch a high price if you could find one

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
its formic acid (in the ants) that they need aswell. it can be replicated with orange juice apparently and you can get supplies of harvester ants from the US i believe but they're better off in the wild and should be left there.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
If it's Phrynosoma cornutum (Texas Horned Lizard / Desert Horned Toad / Desert Spiny Lizard) then there are some around - we had some cb babies in the shop late last year that were happily eating crickets and locusts.
Cute little things!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where did you find the Wallaby for sale? I'd also love a Thorny Devil they just look awesome and that blood squirting trick is cool, shame about not being available though

What type of wallaby isit & as Dan says over priced, i can get a pair for less than that !

Thorny devils are awsome, i would love one, but you can't get them, although Rossthedon rescue had one, which they rehomed to a zoo, so they are about ... but i think they are only available for zoos etc as they can get all the foods etc

I bet there'd cost a bomb aswell:lol2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts