Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at London zoo this week and was surprised to see that a blood python and retic together. Both were settled separately but on the same side of the the room, the retic in tree roots and the blood just in the leaf litter. Ive put in helpful red indicators :whistling2:

Cobra

Mamba

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
i think the enclosure looks good there's plenty of room for them both and plenty of area to hide. also i've seen alot worse pairings than that.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The retic in the first pic looks like a boa...

It's a zoo, so you would think they know what their doing?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The retic in the first pic looks like a boa...

It's a zoo, so you would think they know what their doing?

Was defo a retic.

The enclosure was very large, like a room which replicated their natural environment. Loads of hiding places but funny they both settled quite near each other. The reptile house was amazing but no gaboons this time sadly.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
They've been like that for ages, they were inthe same display when I went last year.

They do come from the same areas.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Well, I could think of worse species to keep together, I mean they do come from the same part of the world and aren't known to be particularly ophiophagus - as long as they have been screened, quarantined and settled in well, and of course are fed separately which I'm sure they are then I don't really see a problem... I have seen much worse cagemates than this (cough cough *Kas*)

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
i luuufffsss alll you EXPERTS!!!!! LOL saying london zoo is wrong!!!!!

you all need help

ian

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I dont see a problem with it,alot of the problems associated with co habiting are reduced or minimalised by the size of the enclosure and the fact they have full time professionals overseeing the animals daily.
Dont forget either that the purpose of a zoo is completely different to that of most private collections,the are trying to increase awareness and give a glimpse to the casually interested public of how these animals live in their natural habitat. Can you imagine the outrage if they had a retic in a 6x3 with newspaper substrate and a waterbowl?
I would imagine a fair few people have had their desire to keep snakes sparked by a visit to the zoo or at least had a few myths or preconceptions challenged by seeing these animals in set ups like this which imo can only really be a good thing

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
I dont see a problem with it,alot of the problems associated with co habiting are reduced or minimalised by the size of the enclosure and the fact they have full time professionals overseeing the animals daily.
Dont forget either that the purpose of a zoo is completely different to that of most private collections,the are trying to increase awareness and give a glimpse to the casually interested public of how these animals live in their natural habitat. Can you imagine the outrage if they had a retic in a 6x3 with newspaper substrate and a waterbowl?
I would imagine a fair few people have had their desire to keep snakes sparked by a visit to the zoo or at least had a few myths or preconceptions challenged by seeing these animals in set ups like this which imo can only really be a good thing
top man stu!!!

but dont forget some peeps on here have been keeping snakes for 5 mins
so they know everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

some need help

ian

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
i luuufffsss alll you EXPERTS!!!!! LOL saying london zoo is wrong!!!!!

you all need help

ian
I actually look to zoo's for ideas for housing of reptiles as with the ammount of dudes with degree's and time spent in researching. IMO they should have a pretty good idea. And for those starting out which we all did at sometime it was easier for me to go and look round a zoo than it was to find someone else who kept snakes. At the end of the day for anyone who has read WLW's posts he learned through his grandfather who if I remember correctly and please someone correct me if I am woring on any of this was curator of reptiles at a zoo in france and it didn't seem to have done him any harm has it!

·
Registered
429 Posts
top man stu!!!

but dont forget some peeps on here have been keeping snakes for 5 mins
so they know everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

some need help

ian
Spot on Ian, me included (well def 5 mins, But I certainly don't know everything ) :lol2::lol2:
I would think London Zoo is a wee bit more likely to get things right than say you're average rep shop, as I reckon their Rep people would have a little more experience.

Hamish.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
They have been keeping them together for years, we recently went to Paradise wildlife park and they keep 2 14ft anaconadas with 2 dwarf boas. The dwarf boa was sitting on the anconadas head, we spoke to the keeper about it and he said they are fine also been living together for years. Although their enclosure was quite small not like the retic/blood at london its a big enclosure.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
blackpool zoo have common boas, green annies and retics in same enclosure, and have a shit load of nile monitors in with a tortoise

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
different strokes for different folks.....zoos are there for NATURAL education and captive breeding for conservation....not to teach you right from wrong for captive husbandry of pets.

plus are you sure its a blood? looks like a shiny log

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.