Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing research intend to do more. So far a basic list of things i need are

20 Gallon Long
Moss
Heat Mat Thermostat
Cricket keeper
Water Bowl
2 hides? i intend on 2 salamanders
2% UV bulb (IK i need some type of light but not sure what type yet)
Misting bottle
2 tiger Salamanders in normal stage
Eco earth substrate under moss

Is this list fine? Also I Had a question about how people force the metamorphosis. Can someone give me like a step by step way you do this?
Can 2 males be together or does that not work?

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
I've been doing research intend to do more. So far a basic list of things i need are

20 Gallon Long
Moss
Heat Mat Thermostat
Cricket keeper
Water Bowl
2 hides? i intend on 2 salamanders
2% UV bulb (IK i need some type of light but not sure what type yet)
Misting bottle
2 tiger Salamanders in normal stage
Eco earth substrate under moss

Is this list fine? Also I Had a question about how people force the metamorphosis. Can someone give me like a step by step way you do this?
Can 2 males be together or does that not work?
Unless you live in a very cold house I'd have thought you wouldn't need a heat mat. These don't like it warm. You also need a de chlorinator for the water.

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
2 tiger Salamanders in normal stage .....

Also I Had a question about how people force the metamorphosis. Can someone give me like a step by step way you do this?

What do ye consider 'Normal Stage', Asa? Only, a Tiger Sally larvae is, basically, an axolotl. And, to my understanding, getting one of those to metamorphose, in captivity, is no fun.

Anyway, I rather get the feeling ye over thinking the whole thing here. I mean, fair play to ye for not going in blind. But, Tigers, of all the sallys, aren't exactly rocket science.

As Basin points out; No need for a heat mat, to start with. In fact, I'd say that's the furthest thing from what ye'd need for them. Any room in a normal house would be fine. Give that heat mat to the crickets.

Tough as old boots, Tigers. Perfect introduction to sally's. I'd have one today, if they were available to me. Brilliant characters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A few quick points:

- You may want to swap the Eco Earth (which is just Coco Fibre, £4 for 40l bricks from Wilkos btw) out for an organic top soil as it tends to stick to the skin of salamanders, doesn't cause any problems but doesn't look the best. You can mix Coco Fibre with top soil and it will be better, I use the Forest Soil mix from ProRep which I prefer. Whatever you use make sure it isn't too acidic and make sure there is enough to allow the salamander to exhibit natural burrowing behaviour, it may not dig much if at all depending on what hides are available or the individual personality of the animal.

- Room temperature is fine as is ambient light. UV isn't necessary unless you have live plants which would probably just get trampled by a big clumsy Tiger Salamander anyway! As long as it's food is loaded then it will get everything it needs.

- Watch its weight. The worry with Tigers is not that they won't eat but that they will eat everything. It's very easy to let them become obese which can shorten their lifespan and cause other problems. In fact they're such good pets which have such basic requirements that I actually found this to be the hardest part of keeping them, especially if you have earthworms living in the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts