Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i use ceramic tiles in my tank can they heat up from the mat and burn my leo's feet ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nawt sure what u mean so il have a guess

i havent made my viv yet
im gonna have a light and a heated mat and im taping the mat to the wall if that helps

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sorry but I wrongly assumed that you had a pre built / flat pack viv already in place.

FYI the heat mat needs to be on the floor not on the side. Leo's need the heat from below to aid digestion.

Have a good search around on this site as there are loads of tips and bits of advice. If you don't find the answers feel free to ask away :) .

I'd also recomend reading the care sheet on Paulines site. http://www.thegeckospot.com/leocareindex.html

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I dont think thats actually the case.
I just googled and checked half a dozen leo caresheets and not one said that lep's need or even arte better off geting thier heat from below.

I would like to ask Joemot tho, you said you wer puttin the heat mat on the back...why would the tiles heat up if the mat was on the wall?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
crosby said:
Sorry but I wrongly assumed that you had a pre built / flat pack viv already in place.

FYI the heat mat needs to be on the floor not on the side. Leo's need the heat from below to aid digestion.

Have a good search around on this site as there are loads of tips and bits of advice. If you don't find the answers feel free to ask away :) .

I'd also recomend reading the care sheet on Paulines site. http://www.thegeckospot.com/leocareindex.html
they dont need alot of heat from below defo not nessacery. if u use a bulb and ceramic tiles the tiles should slightly warm up enough, and hold heat for quite a while after lights out.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
They need heat through there stomachs to aid digestion. If you can achieve that through the use of a basking light and ceramic tile then that of course will work Ok but a heat mat on the deck will provide a constant source of heat.

From the GeckoSpot care sheets http://www.thegeckospot.com/leocareindex.html

"The heat mat (which I leave on 24 hours per day) enables the gecko to absorb heat through their stomachs, as they would do from sun-heated rocks in the wild (maintenance of the correct temperature is vital to aid food digestion by your gecko). The bulb is efficient at heating the air in the tank, and is also regulated by a timer in order to keep a regular day-light cycle. The bulb goes off at night, providing a night time drop in temperature to the low 70s."

The London Leo Website says the same thing on heat mats

http://www.london-leos.i8.com/custom2.html

I don't want this to turn into another sand as substrate type thread but there does seem to be different thoughts on this. When I was setting my stuff up everything I read on forums, websites and books suggested using a heat mat and bulb combo which I did. All three are fine and happily go from the hot hide to the medium to the cool one.

At the end of the day whatever you've used to heat the viv, bulb or mat, as long as the Geckos are happy and eating well then I don't see the problem but if someone asks for advice then I will suggest using a heat mat as the primary heat source because that's what I've been taught by various breeders and the available information.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
think he means the rubber type.

linoleum is the best stuff, same purpose as tile except its easier to cut to viv shape, its easy to wash in the sink and its available in natural or pretty colours. its great stuff.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
wasnt disputing using a heat mat crosby.
just saying there was no reaosn it couldnt be on the back wall is all.

I REALLY HOPE THIS LEO GETS GOOD CARE...

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
yeh the linoleum sounds good.you can get them in wilkinson in tile packs that cost £1.99 for 6 which measures about a square metre.iv got that in one of my vivs in a gorge black marble effect.very nice..well i think so....my geckos aint complained neither lol.I keep my heat mat under the tiles too not on the wall.user pref though aint it.just how i was taught :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts