Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, its been a long time since I was last here but I've just written the following on the Timor Monitor after adding one to my collection but not being able to find a definitive sheet for them. It was written with the help of several people especially Mark O'Shea who sent his field work reports on them to assist me so this should give a pretty accurate guide to this Monitor for you, please feel free to share it if you wish x

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cge3w9dl0tnsz4b/Timor Monitor.odt?dl=0

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hi, there`s some very good info in parts but also some quite poor suggestions: in particular the basking surface temp you recommend of 39c (102f) is approx 20f too low, it needs to range between approx 50 to 60c (120 to 140f) may I ask where you get the 39c basking temp from and why it has to be so precise?
You advise using a CHE as a "basking" bulb but they are not suitable for that purpose at all because they direct the heat all around rather than downwards and at the same time are likely to dry the air out to quite a large degree. They are fine as supplementary heat such as during the night.
A much more effective "basking" bulb is a relatively low wattage flood beam halogen @ par 30 or par 38 (the par only refers to the bulb face diameter) these bulbs can be fitted with a dimmer switch which makes adjusting the basking surface temp much easier (obviously you can also raise/lower bulb /basking object).

The only way to try and gain "trust" is with food (tong feeding) which must only begin after the animal is fully acclimated to the enclosure (that can take many months). I do agree that a tractable animal is the goal whenever possible mainly because it means they are less stressed (I think it`s "nice" for the keeper, too)!
You advise using bark chips, coir etc, but a topsoil/playsand mix makes a much better substrate, it needs to be at least 6 to 8 inches deep. You make no mention of nesting if the monitor is female (a 50% chance it will be) nor of how soon sexual maturity can occur in captivity if the conditions are supportive (reproductive failure is one of the most common causes of death in females). I hope you`ll update the caresheet to include some of my suggestions (and take part in further discussions) my intent is to offer you and everyone else some reliable advise in order to help them help their animals, please do not take my response as an insult, it`s clear you`re trying to help, too. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Murrindindi, very grateful for the info, I had to use a shop care guide as the basis for this care sheet so any better into or advice is most welcome. I will amend the sheet using this info so that it better reflects what these cool little guys require and thank you for taking the time to post. I do use a coir/sand mix for mine as I prefer it so although I used their information for the sheet I'm guilty of tweeking it myself :) xxxx

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hi Murrindindi, very grateful for the info, I had to use a shop care guide as the basis for this care sheet so any better into or advice is most welcome. I will amend the sheet using this info so that it better reflects what these cool little guys require and thank you for taking the time to post. I do use a coir/sand mix for mine as I prefer it so although I used their information for the sheet I'm guilty of tweeking it myself :) xxxx

Hi Emma B, firstly thanks for not taking my suggestions as a personal insult or an "attack" (that quite often happens, I`m badly bruised and war weary)!
The next step is for you to put a few photos up of the whole enclosure which will make it easier to help you make some quite urgent modifications in order for your monitor to thrive (it cannot do that if the parameters in the caresheet are what you yourself use just now). I`ll also put pics up and a few links at some point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with murrindindi. This is a great start to getting a decent care sheet for timors written up since there isn't really one out there geared towards them specifically, but I do agree that the basking temps suggested is way too low. I'd also say the substrate depth could use some edit as well. One of the best ways I've found to ensure a good humidity level inside the cage is substrate with some depth (as in, more than just a few inches....at least double suggested or even a bit more and its great), so do look into that more :)

To be honest, I would be leery to recommend advise handling will help a monitor tame down. I find the opposite to be true and would call it building trust, rather than tame it down. The more you try to force it, the worse it gets, especially for a flighty species like timors. Things always need to go at the monitors pace, not ours and unfortunately with todays reptile keeping mindset, everyone is in too much of a hurry to get a tame pet dinosaur with the least amount of work...so that's another consideration with wording. This video I'm linking is a great example of what it should be like. In my opinion at least ;)

https://youtu.be/6SJKlTXfOF0

You've done great so far and with some tweaks here and there, should be a good one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there this is my first time responding here. I have just started a Timor Monitor cage build myself and have been reading many different care sheets. My cage is 150cm wide 150cm deep and 150cm high. I have actually created a pond about half way up the cage height to minimize the amount of dirt put into the water and at the floor will have a substrate depth of at least 30cm. I am planting live plants and small trees in the enclosure. I am using the zoomed led uvb 36” and 2 24” I am also using a radiant heat panel to maintain ambient temps of 30c and a basking area of 50c the basking area will be like a reets stack so they can climb up or down to adjust to what they like. If any one has suggestions as to what hardy plants can survive in the vivarium would greatly appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts