Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I have been offered one in a trade but did not want to take in on without knowing a bit more about it, I have done the usual google search and found a few things but was just interested in some ones opinion on these lizards, I have kept black throats before will they need similar requirements just on a smaller scale?
Thanks Ed

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
timors are pretty much the same a peacock monitors, i think you looked on that thread the other day.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thanks for that, just is i was looking the timors up and it says that i will probably not see it much and have no hope in handling it, also it says to use soil is compost from a garden centre ok iv heard it can be used for something but cannot remember what lol

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah top soil is fine with a layer of bark chippings to keep the humidity up. ive never known anyone to have a tame one but theres always a first. they are more of a watching lizard than a handleable one. they also need a tall viv with plenty of branches and hides. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they not a monitor you can interact with very much then? i like the look of them but if they are not handled will they be agressive?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
from what ive seen they are one to watch and not handle. being a monitor it'll scratch, tail whip and bite if it needs too.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
just check with the owner, it may be tamish, also how old is it? the younger it is the better it'd tame down.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is 12" long so not very old they say it is handable but i have not seen it yet, i will give it a chance and go and have a look fingers crossed:2thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Haven't kept them but researched a bit a few years ago. They are a bit reclusive. Gorgious little monitors. I think they are somewhat arborial. I have heard that a good vertical hide is beneficial. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks yea every bit helps:2thumb: hopfully going to see it soon if it is young hopeing it might tame down if not could be a nice focal point to my rep room:no1:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
there is a male and female for sale at mo too so you could breed them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you keep them in a viv together or do they need to be in seperate ones until breeding? i think i will keep reserching before i make a choice, i am swaying toward one but keeping an eye on an ackie:lol2:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah they live well in groups of 1 male to 1-2+females.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts