Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking of starting customising my vivs, the insides not the woodwork side, just little by little I'd like to try adding some personal creative touches as I think some I've seen are amazing and I'd love to learn to do it or have a go... So any tips from you pros 8)

Please post pics as well if it will help to explain what you describe.

Any little tips and ideas and advice will help I'm a total novice!

I also ask this before I start getting into it, I want to know the DO's and DONT's.

Thanks in advance x

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi, Gotta few ideas for you to chew on :)

1) Create a background: options include,

gorilla gluing soil on to create an earth bank type look, with bit of wood, stone, etc in. This can be done over a polystyrene or expanding foam background to give a more 3d look.
Polystyrene and grout, good rocky look, although takes time and effort to make it look like anything much more than grout covered polystyrene lol.
Coir panels, tree fern panels, shop bought panels, easily installed, not much else to say on them really.
Black out the viv. Sounds odd, but I used sticky back plastic and sealed the corners with sealant, it really makes the decor and the animal itself stand out, looks particularly good with a dark animal on light substrate such as beech chippings.
Get osters printed, I recently bought a waterproof poster in A0 size (about 4 foot by 3 foot), cost about 25quid but looks the bees knees.
Go wild with something totally out of place, like a poster of paris or something lol

Presumably theres some I've forgotten.

2) Choose your substrate, this is animal dependent to some extent, although open to a bit of change, for example the advice is to avoid substrate with panther chams, however mine are in a planted set up so to get around this i've coated the whole floor in moss and planted through it.

3) Decor,

How big is your imagination?! To some extent this will be determined by choices one and 2, eg if you have a stony background and sand substrate, putting rainforest plants in will look a bit odd. Personally I think live planted is the way to go, i have temperate and tropical planted vivs and am about to build a new one to house desert/arid plants alongside my african eyed lizards. You can use branches, rocks, plants, etc etc.

Sorry for the massive reply, get carried away :lol2: hope it all helps though

Dave

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , backgrounds are something I want to try eventually but first I'm working on themes, im doing a jungle theme for my biggest beardies and a beach theme for my geckos :) got some ideas... what I want is to make my own ornanents and decorations but safe for the pets. Once ive got the layout i may try backgrounds thanks :) xx

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
DO.....a background,go nuts, original ideas, experiment
DONT...be afraid to be creative,

i use any thing and everything
climbing items... branches and logs to street signs and gutter tubing,
for hides...natural caves to and xbox console shells,
other decor....ornament/statues to toys/playsets

1 - 4 of 4 Posts