Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi people im into keeping beardies and im looking for two in the near future ive kept beardies in the past but im hoping to get two nice morphs and have a ago at breeding. even though ive kept them before what i know compared to alot of you on here is very little im always up for inproving and any tips and info you might have i would like to here.i already have my viv set up minus the substrate, im going to buy babys so any tips on subs and ways to make sure they eat there greens and what greens they cant resist.thats the problem i had last time but if it was me i wouldnt eat green either lmao thanks for taking the time to read my post lokking forward to getting to know some of you

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Its pretty simple. Dont buy two if you only have one viv.

Only two females have any chance of getting on and if you buy babies there is no way of telling. keeping a pair in the same viv will end up with the female being mated far too early and possibly the male paying her so much sexual attention she will be stressed to death.

If you are intent on breeding make sure you get out a second mortgate to feed the babies for at least 8 weeks before selling them on for half what you have spent on them.

Substrate should be simple. Kitchen roll / butchers paper / reptile carpet or upside down floor tiles maybe lino.

My dragons will kill for rocket but eat most other suitable veggies readily. You must just be patient and put in fresh every day until they decide to have a taste.

P

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your advise all taken on board and i think im going to give the breeding a miss! and will defo be getting just the one. the thought of possibly causing a mass of stress for no reason has put me off, would make me feel terrible if it happened thanks again

·
Registered
981 Posts
Lol at paul putting it bluntly.

but hes right the amount of time and money it cost to breed bearded dragons the return from the babies isnt sufficient enough to warrant doing it in the first place. not from a financial point of view.

and although its hard to sex bearded dragons from such a young age, it isnt possible! so dont rule out having 2 just yet.

although even if you had two females there is still a risk of fighting and bullying.

but hey plently of people keep beardies together without problems!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts