Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about the behaviour of the Leopard Gecko, and o hope somebody reads it and takes note, although i'm sure most of you will just dissagree and right back about how wrong i am and how this is all bad advise! :( But i'm going to put this any way.

As most are aware Leopard Geckos are nocturnal and i've researched that for the part of the world of which they come from they are subjected to very high temperatures around 95F in the day and those temperatures drop to about 60F at night. It seems strange that most people keep there leos at about 85F. I read a book written by a Proffesor of Herpatology, and he has been for the past 30years, he claims leos should be kept at around 90-95F (day time temps) in the captive enviornment to replicate they're natural enviorment, i have to agree with him as my leo hasnt had a health issue yet! unlike my friends leo who has been kept at 85f but in remotly similar conditions (other than temperature) to mine, so the question is which temperature is best, the popular choice of 85F or the unknown choice of 95F i'm lead to belive 95F is best as Leos kept at 85F seem to come out more during the day rather than sticking to being nocturnal i belive as it is cold compared to 95F they belive it is ok to come out because its not so hot. Although most would use a heat lamp as well as a heat mat and most would argue the light would cause them to want to stay in they're burrow till dark, i dont think this is the case i think they use temperatures to determin if its safe or not as well as levels of light. And this is my main point are captive leos confused by a lower temperature of 85F and are they more likely to be prone to health issues opposed to leos kept at 95F its open for debate, but thats my case and i belive people who want a leo in captivity to live a more natural life should at least keep them at around95F during the day with a night time drop to around 60F - 70F so that way the leo knows when its safe to come out with a definate sense of day and night (another good reason to use day and night bulbs) and also it seemingly leaves them less open to illness.

I hope at least some one takes this onboard and i also hope it makes sense to somebody other than myself!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i'm not gonna comment on leos temperatures because i haven't got one :?

seems like it would be worth trying out

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I keep my geckos at 90 hot end. one hides mostly during the day but the one in my bedroom is nearly always out even when asleep but that might be because its quieter up there.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I always kept mine at 90f at the hot end. They were fine. I had 3 in together and one came out in the day all the time.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Whilst temp is important, I think its all to easy to get hung up on what temp.

For every temp, there will be those who say they had no issues and those who have.

As has been mentioned above, I aim for a mid range 90f in part of the vivs, but this does vary a little, as I am sure it does in the wild.

Some of my geckos do sleep all day, others are out and about, yet more are in and out when they see me.

Its a little like humans in some ways, some work days, some nights, some live in the tropics, others dont.

I think as long as one takes on the basics and ensures correct diet and is ready and able to make adjustments when needed, a mid range temp is fine.

Anyway, thats my 2pence worth !

Tony

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I also keep mine at 90 at one said and cooler in other side. I have been told so may different views on how to keep geckos and have finally decided to do it my own way which is putting all ive been told and read together and coming to a good balance with it all. All mine seem very healthy and happy and i also have 1 that sleeps outside hide most days :)

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
i have two in same viv which i keep at mid 80's. one sleeps through the day the other is awake , alert and hunts the crickets like a pussy cat!!!! the one that sleeps through the night eats the crix the daytime hunter leaves for him!!!!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
i see what you are saying but does dropping the temp encourage the geckos out from their natural behaviour so we can see more of them during the day? if so is this fair on them? or keep temps high ; keep them natural and stay up late! is this what your getting at?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
We've not had little Tarot that long, but he's kept at around 85F day time and 72F night time (varies slightly with ambient temps of room but not much), and he tends to come out at around 8.30pm and hide all day. So IMO there doesn't need to e that great a temp difference. He doesn't have a light yet, just a mat, so I couldn't give an opinion on the light question.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
For sure temp has a big effect, to cold, they lay around in the hides and dont eat, to hot, they flop down anywhere and dont eat. Just right, and IMHO thats anywher between 85-95 depending on what they are used to and they seem to pop out in daylight, but sleep most of the time, and roam in darkness.

So temp is important, but not as much for day night cycle but for feeding.

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts