Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, ive always thought popping to sex a snake looked pretty barbaric but now thinking about it how much better is probing going to be? i just wanted a general consensus on what everyone else thought about it as i would love to definitively find out if my cali king is a boy or a girl without going to the vets and obviously without wanting to hurt him/her..

cheers

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
hey, ive always thought popping to sex a snake looked pretty barbaric but now thinking about it how much better is probing going to be? i just wanted a general consensus on what everyone else thought about it as i would love to definitively find out if my cali king is a boy or a girl without going to the vets and obviously without wanting to hurt him/her..

cheers
Popping should only be done when they are very young and only if you know what your doing, if you do this with an older snake then you risk potential muscle/internal damage.

·
Registered
944 Posts
As mentioned above. Popping should be done on younger snakes. I usually pop up to about 6 months, to avoid any risk of internal Danegeld, mentioned above. I probe anything older then 6 months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies, very helpful :D.. zebedy isnt a young snake so i wont bother, the only thing i am worried about as far as probing goes is that i have seen vets getting it wrong and as far as i was aware probing was meant to be the best way to tell next to popping..

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
probing or popping can be very harmful to a snake if it is done wrong. if you can`t get someone to either show you how to do it, or do it for you then you should watch all the youtube videos before trying, and then be very careful and gentle. probing is a pretty safe way to sex your snakes as long as you are gentle with them and follow all information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts