Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try Bean weevils for my spiderlings.. only problem is how much they climb.. i noticed they all gather on the lid and even if I tap them off before opening they have climbed back up within seconds.

Soooo.... I played around and found Vaseline brilliant. They dont dare cross it.. they hate the stuff. So I smeared vaseline on the top 3 cms of the tub. Also as they are nector feeders ive been feeding them Sugar water on a damp tissue. Do you think thats a good enough equivalent?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Is that a problem with them gathering on the lid? I assume you won't be smearing the spider pots with vaseline, so they'll probably climb the walls in there anyway.

When I was breeding bean weevils and fruit flies a few years ago I provided shredded paper from a document shredder for them to climb on, not the cross-cut type of shredder obviously but the ones that produce spaghetti-like strips.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I would recommend dusting powder, this coats the hairs on the legs and prevent climbing. 100% guaranteed.

-J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.