1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to coast to coast in darlington, great shop

i wanted to buy another bearded dragon a Hatchling Yellow x Snow Hypo

buttt they couldnt sell me it because im not using ceramic heaters

what do you think about that ?

im still getting the bearded draong i just have to get ceramics also

Cant wait tho you sohld see the colours on him :D:D:D

P.S if the woman who spoke to me toda see's this thread please reserve him for me :D

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Sounds like a shop is just trying to make more money by selling ceramics.

Incandecsent is perfect, and it can be argued necassary for beardies due to the "third eye" light receptor.

IMHO they are just trying to make an extra £££ by insisting on ceramic.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in fairness they are just making sure they go to a ggooooodd home :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Then why not a good home with the (significantly cheaper, but more than adiquiate) incandescent heating?

A mat is not suitable, but a spot bulb IS

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I would say spot bulbs that give out light are FAR better for beardies.
They recognise light as a heatsource. A ceramic gives out no light so the beardie wont see it as a 'sun' if that makes sense.

Its like a beardie basking under a radiator in the wild. Not natural lol.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes but they didnt want t sell me it because the set up i got was from a guy whos new to reptiles infact hes getting tutored at C2C and they know that people have been coming back to his shop complaining about the animals being sick hence why he changed over to ceramics .. . im not saying that if you have a spotlight that your animal will get sick but she wants to make sure that dosnt happen and tbh id prefer a ceramic so its just a better reaosn for my mam to buy me one:D:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think it a little unfair that the shop refused to sell you the beardie just because your husbandry methods differ from theirs.

My friends and I all keep our animals in various different ways with various different equipment, and we can debate the advantages/disadvantages of each until the cows come home, but the bottom line is that as long as the animals are healthy and happy whatever works for the individual is fine.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
animals have not and will not get sick due to a spot bulb. If they have implied this then they are stupid.

How many ceramics are in the australian scrub?

I didnt think so. For desert lizards i would say that incandesent heat/light is not only reccomended but essential.

As i said it is a shop out for a fast £

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont agree with the fact that you think they are out for fast money

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'm pretty sure they would recognise a spot bulb as a heat source better than ceramics.....but maybe I'm wrong. Bit strange for them to insist on ceramics....

: victory:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah but basking in infrared heat provides essential warmth for digestion and for the immune system to adequately fight off infections. Use these high powered conical heating elements to recreate natural basking tempratures

·
Registered
484 Posts
our 2 beardies have a spot bulb which provides their heat/light and they are now 4 1/2 and 11/2 and show no signs of illness...... the ceramics we used for our boa and corn

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
u use a cceramic for a corn snake ;S

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
nothing wrong with that aslong as its controlled.. i dont agree with them not selling you a beardie definatly sounds like there out for the money or they have an overstock on ceramics and are trying to get rid!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Exactly. there is nothing wrong with CHE heating but equally there is nothing wrong with ISL heating.

To insist on one over the other is pretty unheard of and anyone who does, and SELLS the one the reccomend seems pretty suspect.

I cannot see why they would INSIST on CHE before sale (over ISL) other than to make an extra £15 profit.....

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do ya need a speical fitting for a ceramic?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
talk to v-mex or v-max about it hes the owner

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
superted
thanks for making my smile when i got my beardie 2 weeks ago told by shop to use spot for heat/basking [norm household spot bulb]
linda:smile:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts