Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kind of a stupid question lol

alot of people use toilet roll as leo substrate and yes its good but i get the problem of crix escaping under it lol how can i stop them :?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i dont think u can to be honest.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i wouldnt say its a good idea to use toilet roll to be honest.it breaks up way to easy.i use just the basic kitchen roll and i dont have a problem with the crickets.spose you could use tape.dont see why not just make sure you dont leave any sticky side up so when they walk over it they dont get stuck and pull any skin off
:wink:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
its funny u should mention sticky bits. my little sister once stuck a sticker of a butterfly in our geckos viv and it fell off and stuck to the fat tail an the stickiness is like 10 times more sticky to a gecko skin than to humans and is difficult to remove and needs alot of bathing and patience to not injure the gecko so i wouldnt really advice it and i'd use a more weighted substrate.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
ive seen it a while back that people use it but never seen pics of someone with it in their viv.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Kitchen roll is a million times better.. I'd never use toilet roll! As has been siad, breaks up way to easy.

With the kitchen roll, use heavy hides/dishes near the corners to hold it down.... and make sure it is cut to the size of the viv, rather than folded over, as that often raises it.

Emma xXx

·
Registered
351 Posts
Emz118 said:
Kitchen roll is a million times better.. I'd never use toilet roll! As has been siad, breaks up way to easy.

With the kitchen roll, use heavy hides/dishes near the corners to hold it down.... and make sure it is cut to the size of the viv, rather than folded over, as that often raises it.

Emma xXx
I would concur, cuting to size is much easier, and if you fasten down the corners with dishes etc and the crix tend to stay up top, tends to depend on what size crix you have though...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yeah, true, our baby has had to have teeny tiny crix recently coz it was all we could get over xmas/new year, and they've been escaping.

We tend to wait til he's out to feed him, then drop in 3 or 4 at a time so he eats them before they get chance to get underneath, although that only work's coz he's a piggy!

Emma xXx

·
Registered
61 Posts
How about using vinyl flooring heard its good cuz its easy to clean thinking of trying it myself :) I think it would be heavy enough that the crickets couldnt get under it. Fed up of the crickets hiding under the kitchen roll! :devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts