Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do tokays bark often? I just want to make sure they don't bark all through the night!

Does anyone know of any good techniques on how to handle aggressive tokays? It's just that removing them so I can clean their tank is my biggest concern.

·
Registered
543 Posts
how long have you had them! i adopted 2 a few weeks ago now and 1 didnt make it unfortunatly but barker the remaining male loves barking its quite funny, i used to have him in the bedroom with me but now he is back in the living room he does bark frequently on the upper hand tho he is totaly hand tame! speak to ginnerone he is fab and really helped me with the 2 that i adopted! he is the tokay guy :D

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Have a read of this http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizard-care-sheets/567099-tokay-gecko-palm-gecko-chinese.html should give you some handling tips. If its just a case of moving him to clean the tank then I just stick a tub over him, slide the lid under, and there you have one tokay in a tub!

On to the bark, is it barking when you go near it? Or just in the evenings? And do you know if its a male or female?

Basically, if its a male, and he thinks its breeding season, you may get this YouTube - ‪Tokay gecko mating call‬‏ quite alot! My male doesnt call too much, maybe every now and again, but when we have warmer weather he normally starts calling for abit.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps I didn't word that first sentence very well...I don't have any, just looking into the possibility in case I fall in love with them at Doncaster! After hearing a few on YouTube however I think they're about as annoying as the tree frogs I could hear all through the night during my honeymoon in St Lucia! I'll stick to the crested gecko idea, though I may be waiting for a while yet for either as I'm not sure I could handle getting so many new species at once from the reptile show!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Perhaps I didn't word that first sentence very well...I don't have any, just looking into the possibility in case I fall in love with them at Doncaster! After hearing a few on YouTube however I think they're about as annoying as the tree frogs I could hear all through the night during my honeymoon in St Lucia! I'll stick to the crested gecko idea, though I may be waiting for a while yet for either as I'm not sure I could handle getting so many new species at once from the reptile show!
I dont find it annoying at all. I have 5 males who all compete with eachother. All night I hear "TO-KAY" (and sometimes during the day) and I quite like it lol.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe yeah, my husband actually liked the sounds of the frogs on holiday :) I better not risk them driving me insane just because they're pretty though lol. I'm bad enough with crickets chirping, which is a shame because I could make my house sound like a rainforest if I wanted to :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts