Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've known a few hand tame tokays and it's an awesome sight to see a huge, bright blue and red male tokay sitting on your hand...

Best bet is to get yourself some CB babies and work on them 8)

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blah. I can't think of what lizard to get. Something handleable. And something i can keep in a viv no longer than 2 1/2 ft. Lol. Ah well keep on looking i guess. :S

·
Registered
23 Posts
In a way. I've never owned them as I shall explain below but I know 2 people who have. They both managed to tame one but it was from a baby and took a long time, even then they never get as handleable as your average leo for example.

I was looking to buy one and I know this guy had some gorgeous XL ones so I got him to give me a little demonstration, lol he held its mouth down with a pen then gave it a piece of plastic on his keys to bite to show me just how hard they clamp down. It wouldn't let go so he had to leave his keys in the tank with it. I did not buy one as they were no longer gorgeous but MASSIVE and SCARY! lol I'd still take on the challenge of a little one one day though.

Prehaps a Crested instead??

·
Registered
809 Posts
Mine are rehomed and I was told they were not hand tame so I have not bothered. They are so much better looking and have so much more character and attitude than most of the other gex, that I can live with not being able to handle them. If you want something for a 'cuddle' get a leopard gecko :wink:

I do know of a couple of people with hand tame Tokays, but, they have put in an awful lot of time and effort from hatchlings to get them that way.

As the old sayings go... "you only get out out, what you are prepared to put in" and "no pain no gain" :D

If you want any personal advice PM me.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Id love one myself too one day. But not as a pet to handle. I have a yellow spotted night lizard who wouldnt think twice about biting. I have to count to 10 and take deep breaths before i dare put my hand in the viv to clean things out and its only about 7in long :lol:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Trice said:
Blah. I can't think of what lizard to get. Something handleable. And something i can keep in a viv no longer than 2 1/2 ft. Lol. Ah well keep on looking i guess. :S
Tokays are climbers!! You need more height than you need width or depth. I have today sourced some captive bred Tokays in Essex that are still quite young. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you. :D

Kirk

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not fussed about pain. But to me, i don't know if i would want an animal i couldn't handle. I can't explain it. Just need to have physical contact with them you know?

·
Registered
809 Posts
tombraider said:
Id love one myself too one day. But not as a pet to handle. I have a yellow spotted night lizard who wouldnt think twice about biting. I have to count to 10 and take deep breaths before i dare put my hand in the viv to clean things out and its only about 7in long :lol:
Interesting. My Tokays are not as bad as that. In my experience, with the two I have now and the two a friend had a few years ago, the Tokays only bite as a last resort. A last form of defence. I think the ferocity of their bite is what gives them their reputation. NOT their aggression.
When I clean out their viv, my guys go out of their way to avoid confrontation and even when I get too close for comfort, they 'bark' at me as a warning. Not exactly the pitbull mentality they are supposed to have. :roll:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kirak :D at the risk of sounding stupid.. What'd you mean by sourced anyway o_O

·
Registered
809 Posts
Trice said:
I'm not fussed about pain. But to me, i don't know if i would want an animal i couldn't handle. I can't explain it. Just need to have physical contact with them you know?
If you are willing to put in the time and effort with them young enough you will be able to handle them.

I know of someone who has a hand tame young male for sale. Not cheap, but in my opinion worth every penny if you just want one Tokay with the best possible start in life. YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
This Male is Captive Bred and has had a lot of time spent on him to get him hand tame. He is about double the price of a WC Tokay but, as I said before, in my opinion worth every penny. I already have a male and am looking for a second female, otherwise I would have had this guy in my viv by now!!!!!!!!!!!!
He comes from a very, very reputable breeder with ten years of experience and he is third generation CB.

If you are interested PM with your contact details and I will get them to contact you.

kirk

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think they've been mentioned above already, but cresties are cool 8)

Handleable, no supplementary heating requirements, a range of colours, no having to feed nothing but livefood all the time, easy to find reasonably priced captive bred... They're great! : victory:

EDIT - Or get the tame male above! :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Yeah I'd prefer creasties to tokays but my local shop has a couple of tokays for £50 and I've had them out... there not that bad!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts