Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too light to hibernate
Hi,

I have an adult female Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise that I've kept for many years. She's had a very lean year and is currently 275mm carapace length and 2.45kg, Jackson's ratio 0.12. Obviously not good, though she has been apparently healthy. I don't have comparative weights for the past few years, but some years ago she routinely weighed around 3.8kg at this time of year (Jackson's ratio 0.20).

I'd welcome advice on what to do. I've never attempted to keep her awake over winter, and have never had any success at getting her to eat when indoors, even under heat lamps.

Is there anywhere that would accommodate her in a vivarium until her weight improved?

Thanks.

Nick

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
This sounds a much more comparable weight. I think she was probably over weight, or you made a mistake. I don't see anything wrong with 2.45 K. for a ten inch tortoise. I think you should carry on the wind down and review her weight after three weeks.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
This sounds a much more comparable weight. I think she was probably over weight, or you made a mistake. I don't see anything wrong with 2.45 K. for a ten inch tortoise. I think you should carry on the wind down and review her weight after three weeks.
I agree with JL, provided she has been eating and acting normally over the Spring, Summer and early Autumn, then her weight is fine. The Jackson Ratio is just a guide as is any system you use for checking weights etc. They are not set in stone.
Just keep a very close eye on her during hibernation. Weighing and checking her over.
You will probably have more problems trying to keep her awake. As long term hibernaters just automatically go into windown mode. And wont be stopped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts