Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i visited a few rep shops in the last few days and im torn...

either 1 adult jungle jag (female)
or 1 male and 1 female irian jaya...
both will cost around the same,, what would you do any why?????

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jungle Jag STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
irian jaya!!!! Smaller than jungle jags and plus, I know some people will probs disagree but the jag gene isn't a good gene, most jags are not completely right and have a funny head action!! Seen this alot!!
Irian jaya wld be my choice!!! but if you do go for the jag have a little hold and play before you get it and see if you can see the problem im explaining!!
Hope that helps x

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I would go for the Irian Jaya.

Jag's can suffer from a hereditary trait known as "hydrocephaly" (at least I think thats the name), which is basically a mis-shapen skull that presses against part of the brain, causing fits, convulsions and occasional loss of co-ordination, or head lolling.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for the replys......
i may go for the jayas but the jag is stunning

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Agreed- I've seen the condition twice now, once from a Jag Sibling, and once in a Jag, both seperate clutches. It's a shame, I used to really like Jags too...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would go for the Irian Jaya.

Jag's can suffer from a hereditary trait known as "hydrocephaly" (at least I think thats the name), which is basically a mis-shapen skull that presses against part of the brain, causing fits, convulsions and occasional loss of co-ordination, or head lolling.
I thought hydrocephaly was akin to fluid on the brain? Nothing to do with a mis-shapen skull that I know. I've also never had a Jag have fits or convulsions. The odd moment of incoordination maybe, but thats about it.

The neuro condition Jaguar carpets show is most likely related to how pigment cells migrate from the spinal area during embryonic development - as they fail to migrate to their destination to the same extent as normal Coastal carpets, this causes their reduced patterning. The downside is that the pigment cells (melanophores) also function as precursor cells for the development of coordination and other areas of the nervous system, so by not migrating to their intented destinations this also results in slightly impaired coordination. The same phenomenon occurs in Spider Royals - they are essentially the same trait in different snake species.

The Jag (or 'neuroJag') trait is very variable, I have some Jags that are perfectly normal and others were its noticeable, it however doesn't affect their ability to feed or reproduce so its not life-limiting IMO. I wouldn't let the occurrence of the neuroJag trait in some Jags affect your decision on whether to get one or not, they are STUNNING snakes and Jungle Jags in particular just keep getting better as they grow and mature.

I've kept (and still keep) IJs and Jungle Jags and can honestly say I'd have a Jungle Jag anyday - better feeders, nicer to look at, and if you get a male they don't get that big. They're also that little bit more uusual. IJs on the other hand can be notorious for getting resp infections easily and for not wanting to feed on rats. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd agree with above,my IJ has had 2 RI's since i got her,and will not for the life of me eat rats.And the Jag is deff a better looking snake.But i suppose the fact you could breed the IJ's is another option you have.Jag,Jag,Jag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Get the IJs, you don't want a dirty mongrel of a snake. If you didn't want both IJs i'd be interested in the female too...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Get the IJs, you don't want a dirty mongrel of a snake. If you didn't want both IJs i'd be interested in the female too...

Yep I couldn't agree more......darn mongrel carpets are just too dirty.....I mean look at the dirty colours of this skanky snake.......

..... wouldn't have one near me. I mean it could be confused with soooo many other snakes out there, so why on Earth would anyone want one of these filthy rotten beasties.

(read as....Jungle Jags rock. Bright yellow, crazy patterning, stay reasonably small, more arboreal than IJs, oh and almost good enough to eat).

IJs are cool but so are Jungle Jags - so just get both :)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I thought hydrocephaly was akin to fluid on the brain? Nothing to do with a mis-shapen skull that I know. I've also never had a Jag have fits or convulsions. The odd moment of incoordination maybe, but thats about it.

The neuro condition Jaguar carpets show is most likely related to how pigment cells migrate from the spinal area during embryonic development - as they fail to migrate to their destination to the same extent as normal Coastal carpets, this causes their reduced patterning. The downside is that the pigment cells (melanophores) also function as precursor cells for the development of coordination and other areas of the nervous system, so by not migrating to their intented destinations this also results in slightly impaired coordination. The same phenomenon occurs in Spider Royals - they are essentially the same trait in different snake species.

The Jag (or 'neuroJag') trait is very variable, I have some Jags that are perfectly normal and others were its noticeable, it however doesn't affect their ability to feed or reproduce so its not life-limiting IMO. I wouldn't let the occurrence of the neuroJag trait in some Jags affect your decision on whether to get one or not, they are STUNNING snakes and Jungle Jags in particular just keep getting better as they grow and mature.

I've kept (and still keep) IJs and Jungle Jags and can honestly say I'd have a Jungle Jag anyday - better feeders, nicer to look at, and if you get a male they don't get that big. They're also that little bit more uusual. IJs on the other hand can be notorious for getting resp infections easily and for not wanting to feed on rats. Just my two cents.
Spot on couldn't of said it better...

Yep this is one strongly fought ideal in Morelia

Yep I couldn't agree more......darn mongrel carpets are just too dirty.....I mean look at the dirty colours of this skanky snake.......

..... wouldn't have one near me. I mean it could be confused with soooo many other snakes out there, so why on Earth would anyone want one of these filthy rotten beasties.

(read as....Jungle Jags rock. Bright yellow, crazy patterning, stay reasonably small, more arboreal than IJs, oh and almost good enough to eat).
And this is the other.... LOL

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
againn thanks for the feedback everyone..its appreciated..
the jag that i saw was a lot brighter yellow (than the pic above)and the black on her was jet black ,shes really stunning and very lively.
the shop owner is a top top bloke and allowed me to handle her...she was a bit skitty to staert but soon settled down .....oh btw the shop was TCreptiles in ashford...

also a big thanks to waterlife near heathrow.... some great advice today and we were allowed to handle the IJ"S....and i got see how probing was done..so that was cool to..
cheers everyone :2thumb:

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
againn thanks for the feedback everyone..its appreciated..
the jag that i saw was a lot brighter yellow (than the pic above)and the black on her was jet black ,shes really stunning and very lively.
the shop owner is a top top bloke and allowed me to handle her...she was a bit skitty to staert but soon settled down .....oh btw the shop was TCreptiles in ashford...

also a big thanks to waterlife near heathrow.... some great advice today and we were allowed to handle the IJ"S....and i got see how probing was done..so that was cool to..
cheers everyone :2thumb:
Jayas every time, but then I might be biased :whistling2:

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Just seen 2 diamond X jags - spectacular and they are only babies
OH was almost up for getting one despite the price tag. I have a jag and a diamond X so we'll make our own...one day

IJ carpets are #11 on my top ten list of carpet types

1 - 19 of 19 Posts