Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi what do i need for a tort first aid kit please been thinking and if ne thing eer hapens in what ever way i would like to have stuff in ,also syringes for worming ect were can i get them? tubes ect

when tubeing what do they lubricate with,NOTE -I WILL NOT BE DOING THIS UNTILL I KNOW HOW AND HAVE BEEN SHOWN A FEW TIMES
just curious

·
Registered
724 Posts
betadine, panacur? thats all i can think of

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
betadine
whats this please i know clive used this with his tort recentley mad eye !
bless her i do hope she is on the mend

·
Registered
724 Posts
:lol2: betadin is animal antiseptic, you can get it off ebay

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Sorry hun, had to take the link out... not really suitable for the main part of the forum. Funny though.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
for a good meds kit you could do with.....

betadine- its just changed its trade name but the chemist will know what you mean. you dilute it 1 part betadine and 10 parts water. NO stronger!

optrex/eye drops- for when there is eye iritation and they need soothing .

hotwater bottle/heatpad- for emergency powercuts and vet trips in winter

a few squares of clingfilm- for wrapping prolapses and wounds

a few sachets of sugar - for reducing prolapses ( put it inside the clingfilm and make a tort nappy)

a few syringes- available from chemists, just ask them

tweezers- for removing fly strike/maggots/splinters

duct tape/ butterfly stitches- for any shell damage, to hold bits together.

cotton wool buds- for wedging legs out to get skin swabs/file claws

cotton wool- for treating/cleaning

the other bits you will need like tubes are size specific to your tort, so can only be collected from the vet. panacur shouldnt be used ( or any medication) unless you KNOW what parasites your tort has. fecal checks arent difficult, you can learn all that easy enough though. tubing can go wrong, it can go into the lungs instead of the stomach, injecting can go wrong if its supposed to be IM( intramuscular) and goes SC(subcutaneous) so always get preoper instruction. but its easy enpough to pick up!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for a good meds kit you could do with.....

betadine- its just changed its trade name but the chemist will know what you mean. you dilute it 1 part betadine and 10 parts water. NO stronger!

optrex/eye drops- for when there is eye iritation and they need soothing .

hotwater bottle/heatpad- for emergency powercuts and vet trips in winter

a few squares of clingfilm- for wrapping prolapses and wounds

a few sachets of sugar - for reducing prolapses ( put it inside the clingfilm and make a tort nappy)

a few syringes- available from chemists, just ask them

tweezers- for removing fly strike/maggots/splinters

duct tape/ butterfly stitches- for any shell damage, to hold bits together.

cotton wool buds- for wedging legs out to get skin swabs/file claws

cotton wool- for treating/cleaning

the other bits you will need like tubes are size specific to your tort, so can only be collected from the vet. panacur shouldnt be used ( or any medication) unless you KNOW what parasites your tort has. fecal checks arent difficult, you can learn all that easy enough though. tubing can go wrong, it can go into the lungs instead of the stomach, injecting can go wrong if its supposed to be IM( intramuscular) and goes SC(subcutaneous) so always get preoper instruction. but its easy enpough to pick up!
many thanks geting shopping list ready lol rather safe than sorry

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
there are loads of other things that come in usefull but you see them and go "ooooh, that would be good for......". my vet uses dental tools to prise relctant legs out, its a matter of what works best!

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
you should also put electrolyte solution ( comes in a powder sachets) and pro biotics down on the list . but for the pro biotics you can just give our tort a tiny bit of live yoghurt after worming/ABs. and also a heat mat(to fit inside a hospital box) and thermostat for raising temps while on ABs. this really increases the chance of them working properly.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you you have gave me so much info thanks v much.
so after worming like i am trying to do with tank now,do i need him to have probotic? how much yogurt,?

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
i have visions of tortoise people queing up in boots with a bizarre assortment of good in the basket! around january we had three powercuts lasting 24 hours each. the first night i was convinced my snakes were going to die so went to the 24 hour boots and bought every hot water bottle they had on the shelf. the secutrity guard thought i was a crank, walking around collecting heat mats and hotwater bottles in odd slippers and pyjamas ( it was dark) and on the phone to my OH telling him to get all of the snakes and cuddle up to the intil i got home. the things we do.

as for the youghurt, a tiny bit is all thats needed, just plain natural yoghurt. or even, if you know somebody that has a parasite free tort of the same species, feed your tort some of the screened poo. this will boost the good gut germs and help them to digest the food quicker.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
OMG....
How did you get to know so much.........and such bizare stuff??Lol
A x
you know i am really quite good at remembering weird stuff. its a gift and a curse all together. i have spent years collecting books on all of the subjects that interest me.i have over 7 bookcases 7 ft tall and three foot wide, jam packed with books and journals. i also have been to study many different subjects at college and UNI. i have lots of gcse's and a levels,i am a qualified cook, i read english at uni, am fully qualified to do indian head massage and all nail treatments, have a wide range of health and safety diplomas for COSHH, Man Han, NEBOSH and have managed a few shops, a hotel, a music store and an industrial cleaning firm.

But all of the animal stuff has come from pure hobby and interest. i have done the TT course, years ago. and other hobby courses and nvqs involving animals, reptiles and equine. i LOVE going to college and learning new stuff, and spend hours ever day researching on the net. i also read animal medicine books while i am in bed. its matter of research, research research! alot of people pick stuff up from forums (as i have) but i am pretty insatiable. i would read the label on a tin of beans if i stayed still long enough!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts