Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Mother-in-law has been wanting a tortoise for some while. She has kept a multitude of animals in the past (Fish-tropicals and reef/marine, parrots, dogs, rabbits, chincillas etc, etc) with a great deal of success (she doesn't mind spending some time/effort/money on their care).

The tortoise will be kept loose in the back garden in Sutton (Surrey - South London). This is a totally enclosed garden (she is in a terraced house) with a smallish garden (about 30' x 30', laid all to lawn with a small patio area (same height as lawn) and some walled (4 brick high) shrub beds.

What (in your opinion) would be the most suitable tortoise for her to get?

And can you forsee any problems with that particular choice?

Or any particular needs that that choice would have?

...oh....and any local breeders...

thanks for the info.....

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
what part of essex are you?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chelmsford

:)

(well, Bicknacre)

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
hehe bicknacre do you know the brewars arms pub?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never been in there......but yes....it is at one end of the village.....

...where are you in Chelmsford?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
She would need a shelter for him to go in, with a basking lamp to warm up on cooler days, and unless it was an adult tortoise, then it would easily get lost in 30' x 30' enclosure and would need some smaller housing until it was bigger

Josh

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
A med tortoise such as a hermann, spur thigh, marginated or a horsfield will happily live outside from May to September if they have a heated shed or similar to go into when it's too cold for them. If your m-i-l is thinking of a hatchling then access to a whole garden wouldn't be suitable as she'll never find the tortoise - a small enclosure is far better for a hatchling and the enclosure also needs to be netted as magpies and crows are notorious for taking them.

It will definitely need a heated area with access to uvb in early spring and late autumn (when not hibernating) - this can be provided by a table indoors or again with a heated shed.

This link has info on feeding, housing, selecting etc:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/newbie-advice/112281-med-tortoises-useful-links.html

And there is a sticky in Shelled with a list of breeders.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice.

....are there any torts that will enjoy our weather all year round (aside from a period of hibernation of course)?

I seem to remember my parents having a tortoise in my youth who lived outside until it hibernated in a box in the garage over winter.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hermanns, Ibera, Horsfields and Marginateds can all live out throughout the summer with few problems. Mine only come in when we have prolonged periods of bad weather to warm up.

As has been said your mother-in-law won't be able to keep a hatchling loose in a garden of that size as they will easily get lost. A good small enclosure can easily be built for them until they are bigger. Here are my hatchling pens:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts