Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hopefully getting (fingers crossed) 2 07 Hermans.
Delivery being in about 4 weeks.
I really need to know what enclosures to get for them though. Indoor and outdoor. I have read the thread 'tortoise enclosure on the cheap' the one where the indoor rabbit hutch is used.
Can I use one for my two?
Im pretty confused to be honest - do i have them indoors or outdoors etc.
Please please please can someone help me out here?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hi Vikki, :welcome:

Yes you can use indoor rabbit/guinea pig cages, they are what I use for my torts.

You can also get tort tables, there are several places you can get them, ebay being one of them. Just put tortoise tables into the seach and you will find them.

Substrate (bedding) wise you can use different things. Some like a soil/sand mix but I prefer to use a small woodchip it makes spot cleaning easier.

They have to have access to water at all times, again you can get dishes from pet shops or on ebay. Or you can use the dishes that plant pots sit in and buy them cheaply in homebase or somewhere.

You will need a heat source and UV light. Find a good reptile shop and you will get them or again try ebay. There are loads of different types out there so be careful what you choose. I have both bulb type UV light and tube ones. I have to say the tube one is best. They have to be 10.0 (I think) I will check or someone else will correct me I dare say.

Food wise..Weeds are best if you can get them, there are threads on here that tell you all about weeds and plants that are okay for them to eat. I alo have two lists that I have been sent so if you would like them send me your email by Private message and I will forward them to you.

There is loads you can learn from this site, Im sure others will direct you to the appropriate areas.

Where are you getting your torts from?

This is a good thread to read. http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/shel...63070-mediterranean-tortoises-their-care.html

and this one http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/shelled-turtles-tortoise/63073-weeds-illustrated-guide.html

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Congratz on your new Hermanns... my fav torts :flrt:

Here's a good thread with lots of link for feeding, housing etc:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/newbie-advice/112281-med-tortoises-useful-links.html

Pics of my indoor tables:

And outdoor:

For the indoor you will need a basking lamp and uvb lamp (or combined mercury vapour lamp), substrate (hemp and/or sand/soil mix), slate for feeding on, hides, a shallow water bowl and a digital in/out thermometer (basking temp around 32degs, cool end around 20degs).

Make sure your hatchlings have a bath every day though even though they'll have a water bowl... for about 10 to 15 mins in lukewarm water just up to the bottom of their shells... this encourages them to drink and they will pass urates and poo in the bath normally.

They can be outdoors from May to September as long as the temps don't drop below about 10degs C. A heated area for them to access with a ceramic (or similar) on a stat is a good idea. The link I've given above links to edible plant lists for things you can plant in your outdoor enclosure and for feeding generally.

Indoors or outdoors over night is your choice really.

Hope you'll post pics of your new arrivals. :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replys.
Tina - what is your indoor one made from? Your outdoor one, could I use a rabbit hutch/run. Where did you get yours from?
Vicky - What size would you recommend and could you send me a pic please so I know what Im looking for?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone????
Been searching the net for ages and cant really find any answers.
What size rabbit run and indoor hutch shall I get? Does the indoor one have to be wooden or would a plastic bottomed one be ok?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I think Tina's indoor one is the plastic under bed drawer you can get - Ikea have them and her outdoor one was made by a friend of hers.

There has been a few post recently with people posting pics of there enclosures - have a look through some of the old posts.

A think want-a-tort posted a pic of a tort table from e-bay recently too.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Tina - what is your indoor one made from? Your outdoor one, could I use a rabbit hutch/run. Where did you get yours from?
Vicky - What size would you recommend and could you send me a pic please so I know what Im looking for?
My tables are just underbed boxes from Ikea... about £7. I have three hermann's in the bigger one (two 07 hatchlings and an 06 hatchling), it's 100cm x 60cm (approx).

My outdoor enclosure was made by Littlefoot (on here). The only problem you'll find with a normal rabbit run is that they may well try and get through the mesh so you'll need to put solid sides around it to block their view.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
my hermaNS BARGED THEIR WAY THROUGH THE MESH JUST KEPT BUMPING IT AND THE TACKS FELL OUT AND THEY WERE FREE ANDYS JUST BUILDING A OUT DOOR ENCLOSURE

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size is the outdoor one. A local carpenter has offered to make me one so I just need the dimensions to get the qoute

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Would that be big enough to house the two or shall I get a bigger one which will last them.6x5 possibly?

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Thanks. Would that be big enough to house the two or shall I get a bigger one which will last them.6x5 possibly?
It's plenty big enough for hatchlings... I have three in that size. They can be quite difficult to find in bigger areas. I'm planning on breeding in the future so will use it for my own hatchlings but if you want one to just last for your two then a bigger size is a good idea.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In your indoor one Tina, What substrates are they?
Would it be a good idea to get a couple of window boxes and grow my own weed things for them? Ebay have some weed seeds especially for torts.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Hemp and a sand/soil mix (70% topsoil and 30% playsand) - although I prefer hemp as I found the sand/soil got stuck around their little eyes. It's quite easy to find weeds at this time of year, even in January you can find dandelions growing. Any plants off this list are suitable and many will grow in window boxes:

Untitled Document

There's a few good sites on ebay that sell seeds for torts.

If you buy any from a garden centre shake all the soil off from around the roots and replant in topsoil. Then keep taking off the old growth until you only have new growth before you feed as they will have been treated with pesticides. Same when you're picking weeds... be careful not to pick in public areas which might have been sprayed.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Anyone????
Been searching the net for ages and cant really find any answers.
What size rabbit run and indoor hutch shall I get? Does the indoor one have to be wooden or would a plastic bottomed one be ok?
hi Vikki everyone has given some great ideas for indoor and outdoor enclosures i always find the more suggestions and ideas you get the more able you are to construct something to suit your own situation.if i can offer my own as another example. i will just add the indoor one has a combination uv and basking lamp over it i am more than happy with these for excellent activity and feeding.but i will say i used seperate uv tubes and spotlamps for many years without ill effect.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys.
So I need a basking bulb, a 10% uvb bulb, a starter unit thing, a thermostat, thermometer, substrate and some hides? oh and a water dish and food dish? Thants for the inside one and for the outside hides, water dish, food dish and substrate?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Sorry had to go to dog training.

I have a 4ft one and a 3ft one. For two torts I would suggest a 4ft cage. I then suspend my lights and heater from the top of the cage.

I will find a pic and post it for you.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
This is one of my cages.

In there I have a hide and a water bowl. I also use a ceramic tile to put his food on. I have recently added pieces of slate to give him a different texture to walk over.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The indoor guinea pig/rabbit cages are great for small torts, I have used them in the past. Only thing I say is the bigger the better!!

Vicky, I am curious now, seeing your heat lamps inside the cage, was it not too hot underneath for the torts? I only ask as I used a 40w spotlight with mine, and the temp below it was always over 90, so I ended up having it above the wire!

My outdoor enclosure for my Hermann's is 18ft x 6ft, because I didn't want to have to extend it in a few years time as the torts grew.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The indoor guinea pig/rabbit cages are great for small torts, I have used them in the past. Only thing I say is the bigger the better!!

Vicky, I am curious now, seeing your heat lamps inside the cage, was it not too hot underneath for the torts? I only ask as I used a 40w spotlight with mine, and the temp below it was always over 90, so I ended up having it above the wire!

My outdoor enclosure for my Hermann's is 18ft x 6ft, because I didn't want to have to extend it in a few years time as the torts grew.
Both the heat lamps on my cages are carefully controlled with thermostats and a tempreture gauge thingy. The cage that I have pictured has the larger ceramic heater. The temp under this never goes above 30 degrees, I am very careful, obviously if its colder I turn the thermostat up a bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts