Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my other half is interested in getting a tortoise, she hasnt got a preference yet as has only started looking.

i was thinking leopard tortoise or something like that but this isnt a strong point of mine.

could people give me advise to what is a good tortoise for a beginner with them but has experience with other reptiles.

also what are the average prices for various species and what care do they need.

from what ive gathered a heat bulb and uv light is required and then feed veggies, bar that i dont know much about them so wanting to learn! :lol: :?

all info will be greatly appreciated

cheers

ian

·
Registered
121 Posts
hi, the best torts for a beginner are med species: mainly horsefields, hermans and ibera.

i wouldnt recomend a leopard unless you are clued up on there winter heat requirements, costs etc.... also they grow very very large and need floor space as they dont climb like other reptiles do.

they nned a spot light as they are cold blooded and they need a strong uv light to help there bones and shell to grow correctly.

they should be housed in an open top tortoise box in the cold months and nights and if possible in a secure garden through the spring summer but always with hides and access to some heat.

the going rate for a hatchling of one of these torts is 100 pound although i have seen a guy advertise in liverpool for as low as 80. for an older tortoise you will pay a lot more.

Godd luck, Carl.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree with Carl, leopards get very large and do not hibernate,they need very special requirements. Hermanns or Horsefields are probably best.
Please DO NOT buy your tortoise from a petshop or website,these torts are probably wild caught and loaded with worms/parasites.where do you live?we could maybe find a breeder near you. to be honest though,most tortoises will be going into hibernation soon so you may be better waiting till spring next year.
Also dont feed fruit or veg to hermanns/horsefields torts either,weeds and flowers are best.
try these websites:
www.tortoisetrust.org
www.yahoo.com/group/tortsmad
hth

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool cheers for the comments, yeah i found in my searches that leopards dont hibernate and that wasnt a problem neither was the size they get to as i have a good size garden with lots of grass and i can build a big pen for whatever it needs.

what other special requirements do they need?

and im from york, and getting one from a breader would be my preference but i trust my local reptile shop so i would be happy dealing with them.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well after some more reasearch i dont think my other halfs house would be big enough for a leopard, i have the space at mine but dont think the old dear would be to happy with another reptile :lol:

what are marginated tortoise?

i think we have narrowed it down to a herman or a marginated..... and it wont be for a while yet, prob feb/mar next year when we get one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i dont have a clue about marginated torts but i have a Hermanns and their colourings are lovely and they have great personalities,they grow to about 8-10 inches max.
If you decide to get a hermanns you will need a CITES article 10 which should be given to you when you buy it. please check country of origin on these things as they may well say captive bred but not neccesarily in the uk,avoid if brought over from abroad including places like Slovenia,Germany etc,im sure you trust your local shop but check this out before you buy as i know of not 1 pet/reptile shop that sells uk captive bred torts. Dont buy things like a vivarium or heat mat or wood chips either,most pet shops just want to get as much money out of you as possible and dont care if what they sell you is wrong,you prob think im goin on a bit but its a serious topic and im glad you are getting info before buying your tort :D
if you need anymore help just give a shout and someone will help

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iv spoken to my local pet shop and they never rip me off, hence why i keep going back!plus give sound advice!

they were happy that i was going to build my own enclosure for them with a mixture of play sand and soil, they also answered alot of questions that i had so have a better idea now and low and behold...think its going to be a herman! :D

doubt it will be until next year now anyway, gives us the time to buid everything and do more research

·
Registered
121 Posts
have you asked your pet shop where the torts are from ie slovania or the uk and how much they will cost u???

A marginated is like a hermanns but grows to a larger size, maybe an extra few inches in size with a different patterened shell

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
a marginated tort is the largest of the med species reaching 14 inches in length, so a decent size , still tiny though compared to a leopard or sulcata lol, margs torts have more or less the same requirements as a hermanns, iberas, horsefield, they also hibernate too, they are beautifull tortoises having flared rear marginal scutes, but please dont buy from a petshop, buy from a breeder not a dealer, theres plenty of breeders out there :wink: p.s thats great your in no rush and are happy to research, weldone :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aye in no rush like, got to finish building the vivs for my snakes before i start building an enclosure for a tort, so prob a good couple of months and think it will just be a herman now, seem to be more out there!

so gives us time to research and make its home perfect for the little blighter :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts