Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the main reason for a Hermanns Tortoise not opening its eyes, its not my tort, its about a year old and has only had a uv for the last 2 months and was kept in an exo-terra 18 inch cube glass viv with a screen top, its now on a 3x2 foot tort table with a 18 inch uv tube and a heat mat,i know its supposed to have a basking light, and it did, because i put one on the table when i built it for them, but they took it off and used the mat. it also has no suppliments in its food, even though i gave them some to put in the food.
Tha man in the rep shop near me said it is most likely a calcium deficiancy from lack of uv and supps or could be hibernation, i dont think its hibernation because it was only one eye not opening at first, but now its both.
Help appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Is this the tort that was kept on the windowsill? im not sure why its eyes are closed-im sure sue will post later, have they tried soaking it in warm water??
please urge them to remove the mat as it will burn the tortoise,it really needs a basking lamp,is there nothing you can do?i feel for this tort alot the poor thing,if ive got the right person didnt you make the table for them???I bet you are so frustrated,is there still no way they will let you look after it??

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
**its about a year old and has only had a uv for the last 2 months

This would be a good enough reason - it is probably severely calcium defincient and could well have MBD

** and was kept in an exo-terra 18 inch cube glass viv with a screen top,

another good reason - no temp gradient, incorrect lighting - a very sick tortoise.

**its now on a 3x2 foot tort table with a 18 inch uv tube and a heat mat,i know its supposed to have a basking light, and it did, because i put one on the table when i built it for them, but they took it off and used the mat.

They are sending this tort to it's death. The mat will dehydrate it, burn it while asleep and totally prevent thermoregulation. If it does not have kidnet damage right now it soon will have:(

**it also has no suppliments in its food, even though i gave them some to put in the food.

Idiots!

Do you have a contact number for these people - they have had good advice and are not heeding it - a case for the RSPCA without a doubt.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it is the same one that was in the window, and yes i did build it a table with light.
They said they dont use the light because they didnt think it was getting hot enough, i tested with different bulbs (i cant afford stats for reps that are'nt mine) and got a temp in the basking area of 85F, they used all of the suppliments i gave them and "cant afford" any more, i think i'll have to give them some of mine, is Nutrabal any good for a tort, i use it for my BD.
It has a water bowl that i gave them big enough for the tort to get into if it wants to, unfortunatly they wont let me take it as it was their sons birthday present, calling RSPCA would cause all hell of problems with them being my partners family,and they would know it was me as no-one else knows they've got it, or dont care enough.
I was really hoping that they would have got bored of it by now but they dont seem to have, the boys mum would give it to me now but his dad wont let me take it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
A 60watt spot bulb is fine for a basking lamp! i feel like banging their heads together so god knows how you feel! Nutrabol is what i use for mine and is fine,calcium carbonate costs a few quid for atub from horse supply shops,or get a cuttlefish,weather it outside for a while then use that,i got 1 from pets at home-cost 2p!
hope they stop being so ignorant and do whats best for the tort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts