Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to tortoise keeping. I have two delightful Hermann hatchlings, one came from a private home and the other from a pet shop. The one from the private home seems very contented and is eating very well. The other one seems to be unhappy in his surroundings. They are in a 3ft vivarium with repti turf as a substrate. They are kept at 30-31 degrees in the day and 20 at night regulated by a thermostat. They have a variety of mediums in the vivarium for exercise and interest and they are bathed daily and have quite a variety of food during the day. The second tortoise is constantly standing up on it's back legs trying - it seems - to scrape his way out - he has three times fallen over onto his back which is very scary! Why does he do this? What is he unhappy about? Also how long can a tortoise remain on its back before it dies? I don't know if I am being paranoid. They are both putting on weight. I have had the first one for 3 weeks and the second one for 2. I hope someone can help me please. Thanks.:cry:

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
*Hi I am new to tortoise keeping. I have two *delightful Hermann hatchlings, one came from a *private home and the other from a pet shop.

Firstly they should be kept seperate. If therre is anythign wrong with the pet shop one it will infect the other

*one from the private home seems very contented *and is eating very well.

This is probably becasue he already knows this environment

*The other one seems to be unhappy in his *surroundings.

This is because he is propbably wild caught and is depressed at having to live in something suited to fish. See here Tortoise Trust Web - Indoor Housing & Vivarium Design

*They are in a 3ft vivarium with repti turf as a *substrate.

Get them out of the tank it will slowly kill them through dehydration and kidney failure

*They are kept at 30-31 degrees in the day and 20 *at night regulated by a thermostat.

Constant temps upset torts. They need to be able to choose their temps via an open topped enclosure. They also need to be cool at night - 20 is far too hot.

*They have a variety of mediums in the vivarium *for exercise and interest and they are bathed *daily and have quite a variety of food during the *day.

What is this variety

*The second tortoise is constantly standing up on *it's back legs trying - it seems - to scrape his way *out - he has three times fallen over onto his back *which is very scary!

That is exactly what he is doing - take him out quickly he is severely stressed. Take the other one out too

* Why does he do this?

Because he knows this is bad for his health

* What is he unhappy about?

His unatural environment

* Also how long can a tortoise remain on its back before it dies?

Not long at all in these conditions - I would say his days are numbered

* I don't know if I am being paranoid.

No - you need to make drastic changes now.

*They are both putting on weight.
How much weight? You should hardly see a weight gain in this time. If more than a gram or so then they are in danger of pyramiding and getting metabolic bone disease.
* I have had the first one for 3 weeks and the second one for 2. I hope someone can help me

Sorry to be so blunt but yoiu need to change things quickly if you are to save these torts. Go to Tortoises , tortsmad on Tortsmad : Tortsmad and Yahoo! Groups Hope this helps
Sue

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sue is right please take your torts out of the fishtank,if you leave them they will certainly die within a couple of years,an old drawer would be better suited!
hth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Torty help

Hi Sue. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I read it through and then thought "OH my God!" I don't know where to start! I thought I was well prepared by talking to people who have hatchlings + collecting loads of information from the internet - albeit rather confusing as it is SO conflicting!!! The weight gain was a principle worry as someone had told me they should gain each week and a weight loss of 10per cent was of grave concern. My first one (arrived at 2 months weighing 33g)put on nothing the first week, 2nd week 3g, 3rd week 1g and this week nothing. Torty 2 arrived at 5 months also weighing 33g lost 3g the first week (DID I PANIC OR WHAT!!!!) put on 5g the 2nd week (Thought that was great!) and this week nothing. I was somewhat relieved to learn from you that there should not be too much weight gain!!!! Foodstuff I give them is a mixture of about 4 things from greens, broccoli, flat leaf parsley,cress, dandelion, dock, sow thistle, plantain, cow parsley, clover, vetch a small amount of lettuce (this was all the second one would eat when I first had him!) The vivarium is set up so that the warmest part is at one end (30-31) but at the other end it is about 20 during the day. The heat lamp goes off at night as does the UV repti tube. They have 2 hides, one at the warmer end and the other at the cooler end so they can choose where they want to be. The pet shop one is looking much better now - its shell is not so dull and it looks a better colour. It also has settled down more now although I understand that he possibly has just become resigned to his lot!! What a terrible thought! I was worried about one of those table top homes as I wondered about draughts etc upsetting them and giving them chills. Hope to hear from you again - sorry I have been a long time getting back to you but I thought your reply would come through to my email and I hadn't been back to the tortoise forum. Thanks for the web links - I am busy printing stuff off. Regards + best wishes. Carol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts