Registered
10,458 Posts
no they cant, shouldn't be in contact with eachother

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Captive breeding procedures

Suitable partners

We wouldn't expect chimpanzees to breed with gorillas, or hamsters to breed with mice, but it's amazing how many people presume one species of tortoise should be able to successfully breed with another. This is categorically not the case.
Simply putting any two tortoises together and expecting them to produce viable offspring is unrealistic, foolish, and detrimental to the animals' health.

The Tortoise Shop

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
You ask 'can they' - well yes they can.

You didn't ask 'should they' which is a totally different question and would give rise to a totally different subject for debate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I HAVE HAD THE HERMANNS FOR 5 YEARS AND WAS ONE YEAR OLD WHEN PURCHASED, I BOUGHT THE SPUR THIGHED IN 2006 AND WAS THREE YEARS OLD WHEN PURCHASED, I WAS ASSURED THAT THEY COULD CO-HABIT SAFELY TOGETHER AND THEY WOULD NOT BREED,THEY HAVE BEEN TOGETHER FOR 2 YEARS. THE SPUR THIGHED TORTOISE IS CONSTANTLY RAMMING AND MOUNTING THE HERMANNS AND APPEARS TO BE VERY AGGRESSIVE WITH LEG BITTING. SHOULD THEY BE SEPARATED. nO DAMAGE TO THE hERMANNS AS SHE IS MUCH BIGGER.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
hi i dont really think it is a good idea to keep these two adults together because any attempt at breeding on their part could end in disaster.i have seen animals that people have tried to breed. a spurthighed male mated with a female hermanni the hermans shell cannot take the constant battering from the spurthighed male and he will eventually inflict serious damage on her i know of one case for certain where this has resulted in the development of peritonitis and the hermans died after admittedly several years. this particular animal i know about because i was called to the house to collect and incubate the eggs from this mateing, none were fertile and i dont know of any hatchings from this combination at all.hermans males dont butt females their mateing ritual involves serious head and leg biteing which the female is well able to cope with.im sure should this be inflicted on a spur thighed female to this extent it would cause serious stress and spurthighed are very prone to serious respiratory problems like rhinitis or runny nose when they are stressed, and as is well documented this also can lead to fatalities. so as the possibility of produceing any offspring is unlikely to say the least and you are risking serious consequences even death if you were to go ahead with this pairing i would suggest you make further enquiries to confirm what i have told you before makeing a decision.
terry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Terry, Most helpful, I never wanted to breed and they were too young to sex at the time of buying them. The female Hermanns just hunkers down and the smaller spur thigh has done no damage to date, but the behaviour has only started this year. Last year the hermanns was trying to mount the spur thighed but that has all stopped and I believe her to be female. Not sure what to do now!

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Are you able to separate them indoors and outdoors? It sounds like you were given bad advice when you bought the spur thigh which is a great shame. Is the spur thigh definitely a male?

Oh and :welcome:to the forum... I didn't say in my first post as I was dashing off to eat dinner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Tina, Thanks.

I have never had them sexed properly, but from the books would say the spur thigh was male and the hermanns female. they are together in a 6x3 wooden viv with glass front, indoors and a 4 x4 out door. the Spur thigh never does any ramming out doors. Indoors there is no problem when feeding and they are quite happy to sleep in the same sheltered area, even though they have more than one to choose from.
Thanks Clare

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
They probably can interbreed.

If you're asking if you can keep them together... I don't see why not.

There are some risk factors to overcome and the difference of species in this case is the least of those factors.

Personality and care requirements are very similar.
Your greatest risk factor is putting a large with a small or a wild caught with a captive bred.

You run the risk of agressive behavior whether they are the same species or not.

As to seperating them... ask how many keepers who seperate tortoises of the same species who interact in this manner. If there is no damage being done... let them play/interact.

Ed

Can Anyone Tell Me If A Spurred Thigh Tortoise And A Hermans Tortoise Can Breed

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
They probably can interbreed.

If you're asking if you can keep them together... I don't see why not.

There are some risk factors to overcome and the difference of species in this case is the least of those factors.

Personality and care requirements are very similar.
Your greatest risk factor is putting a large with a small or a wild caught with a captive bred.

You run the risk of agressive behavior whether they are the same species or not.

As to seperating them... ask how many keepers who seperate tortoises of the same species who interact in this manner. If there is no damage being done... let them play/interact.

Ed
hi Ed i stand by my original statement and in this case i totally disagree with you.you are very wrong.i refuse to argue about this but time will tell and i feel sorry for the animals involved.this is forced sexual aggression on an animal with different mateing behaviour and will cause problems in the long term.

terry

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Follow your instincts. If you haven't figured it out by now you will soon figure out that many people who keep tortoise are strongly devided on those topics with ambiguous answers.

There are species I mix and there are species I would never mix.

It depends on not only the species but the individuals.

Ed

Thanks Ed, Getting conflicting advice, really not sure what to do now
Clare

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Follow your instincts. If you haven't figured it out by now you will soon figure out that many people who keep tortoise are strongly devided on those topics with ambiguous answers.

There are species I mix ** hi Ed which do you mix?

and there are species I would never mix. ** and which species you dont and y not?

·
Registered
724 Posts
i was always under the impression that tortoises cannot be interbred, it is stressful and unhealthy for the torts. People have been on this forum before asking the same question and have been told no - thats what I would say

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
As to seperating them... ask how many keepers who seperate tortoises of the same species who interact in this manner.

Ed[/quote]

I'd hope any keeper would consider separating the male from the bombarding of a single female continuiously :whip:

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
You can totally disagree and not want to argue... that's cool but how can you say I'm wrong. I keep mixed species without a problem. I have many an example that is practical and possible without any harm coming to the animal. There are many other keepers who have had the same results. I've seen enough successful examples to call it proof.

When your testudo are breeding and going through their natural behavior of ramming... do you seperate them?

For anyone reading this that have breeding Marginateds... do you seperate them during breeding. I've heard of breeders having the male kill the female.

The point is that you can get the same aggression between the same species. Why should that be tolerated and not this scenario.

Also how is this sexual agression and not territorial agression?

Ed

hi Ed i stand by my original statement and in this case i totally disagree with you.you are very wrong.i refuse to argue about this but time will tell and i feel sorry for the animals involved.this is forced sexual aggression on an animal with different mateing behaviour and will cause problems in the long term.

terry

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Welcome to the forum
:welcome:

I have too different breeds of tort, a Hermann's and a Marginated. I was also told that they could live together later on but then I found out some of the problems that could occur when they reach maturity.

I have to say that Terry was a great source of information as were other members and its those people that I will go with now and I will not be putting my boys (not confirmed yet) together later on.

My advice would be to seperate them, oh and one other bit of advice that people havent said so far is that vivariums are not really suitable for torts (this I also found out from members on here) The best accomodation you can have for them are tortoise tables, although I used indoor guinea pigs cages and they work just as well.

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
I don't mix species that are in breeding groups that I'm trying to breed.

I try not to even mix different groups of the same species.

Then... the species I do mix or have mixed were those that were pets... and adoptions.

Right now the only species I mix are the Sulcata and Aldabras. I like to give them as much space as I can. They've been together about 7 years now.

Ed

There are species I mix ** hi Ed which do you mix?

and there are species I would never mix. ** and which species you dont and y not?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts