Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I know this is really irresponsible but when we let our tortoises out in the sun (we were out with them the whole time in what we thought was a secure garden) one went missing.

I have heard a lot of stories about this happening which is why I kept an eye but apparently that wasn't enough. I have also heard a story of a man who found a huge tortoise wondering up the middle of a road one day, when nobody claimed him he kept him and still has him 20 years later!

I'm now worried about my other tortoise though, will he get lonely? They have been together for 5 years after all. Would it be fairer to keep him on his own or get him a friend?

Please no rudeness or being horrible to me about the first part, I'm cut up about it enough so don't need it rubbed in. Thanks for any help/advice you can give me. He is a spur thighed tortoise.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
To be honest I would concentrate all my energies into looking for the missing tort.

How long has he been missing? He could have just gone to ground for a few days or even got stuck somewhere. Is there anything to suggest he has left the premises?

Torts don't get lonely he may have accepted his companion as part of the routine and there may be an adjustment period. That's if your other doesn't turn up in the meantime.

Any new addition would need to be quarantined for a number of months before introduction. It would need to be the appropriate sex, same species and of possibly of similar size.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hi sorry to hear this , the guy across the road from me had his tort get out twice and go walk about. Both times tort was found safe and sound. I had 2 up until 2 week ago , one of mine died. Now I'm left with her sister. She did act lost for a few days as the other is not there now . But she is doing better now . Could yours of dug down deep somewhere? Some kind person may return yours, I do hope so . If not just look after the one you have , I did have a moment where I didn't know how mine would be as she seemed so low . But I'm happy with just the one now, even though I miss charley tons .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I really hope he comes back. We think he has somehow got onto the hedge and that could have lead him anywhere. We've searched everywhere we can think and have put notices around. Does anyone know how to spot if a tortoise has burrowed under ground and what you can do about it?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Are you sure he/she has not dug down somewhere In the garden?
This is something they can and do do when its hot, as well as when its cold:0)
Tortoises do quite well on their own, they don't think like humans:0)

Reactions: Demonique

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
have a good finger search where ever there's any exposed soil, under bushes etc they won't dig down through a lawn if there's an easier place, if you have to use a probe then be gentle. Its not just looking but feeling or gently turning the soil they are brilliant at hiding and might only be just under the surface.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Hello I know this is really irresponsible but when we let our tortoises out in the sun (we were out with them the whole time in what we thought was a secure garden) one went missing.

I have heard a lot of stories about this happening which is why I kept an eye but apparently that wasn't enough. I have also heard a story of a man who found a huge tortoise wondering up the middle of a road one day, when nobody claimed him he kept him and still has him 20 years later!

I'm now worried about my other tortoise though, will he get lonely? They have been together for 5 years after all. Would it be fairer to keep him on his own or get him a friend?

Please no rudeness or being horrible to me about the first part, I'm cut up about it enough so don't need it rubbed in. Thanks for any help/advice you can give me. He is a spur thighed tortoise.

Of my tortoises has been missing for a couple of weeks now. She did this last year too. I know she is there as my garden is tortoise proof, so I would make this your priority as it will happen again. Your tortoise will not be lonely as such, but might well object to the addition of another one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Thanks guys. I really hope he comes back. We think he has somehow got onto the hedge and that could have lead him anywhere. We've searched everywhere we can think and have put notices around. Does anyone know how to spot if a tortoise has burrowed under ground and what you can do about it?
There is no way of telling where they have dug down unless you have rock solid soil and you search for a softer area, where they could have dug down. A hedge though will not keep them confined as they will go through the first gap they find. It has to be well fenced, ideally with concrete bases set into the ground to be 100% tortoise proof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts