Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping my 2 Hermans Torts in a wooden viv for 3 years and they are doing fantastic I can see no problem with keeping Torts in vivs as long as they are well ventilated and not glass but this seems to be frowned upon on various forums..

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I have been keeping my 2 Hermans Torts in a wooden viv for 3 years and they are doing fantastic I can see no problem with keeping Torts in vivs as long as they are well ventilated and not glass but this seems to be frowned upon on various forums..

If its made of wood and not glass and its well ventilated and has the correct temps then its Fine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi,

People are against Glass vivs, most wooden homes are referred to as tort table, what does yours look like so i can understand what you mean by wooden viv?

Mine are kept in a Table here is a pic;

Do you mean something like this, if so thats the right home and not known as a viv!!!

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

People are against Glass vivs, most wooden homes are referred to as tort table, what does yours look like so i can understand what you mean by wooden viv?

Mine are kept in a Table here is a pic;

Do you mean something like this, if so thats the right home and not known as a viv!!!
Hi mine are kept in a 3 foot aquapack vivarium i think the make is. I have basically a wooden cabinet with glass sliding doors.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
If its made of wood and not glass and its well ventilated and has the correct temps then its Fine.
I would not sell one of my tortoises to anyone using one of these boxes. My neighbours had the same view and refused to listen until one died suddenly. They came crying and asking what caused it - I said the environment but they still kept their remaining one in there saying the vet said it was fine and that sometimes torts die of kidney failure! Of course they do becasue they are in vivs! I asked them to reconsider as the torts would not likely live beyond 5 like this. At age five they laughed at me, at age 6 it was dead!
See here http://www.tortoisestrust.org/articles/vivarium.htm

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Can I ask the SCL of each tortoise please?

Here's a link that you might find of interest:

Tortoise Trust Web - Indoor Housing & Vivarium Design

Tamie

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Hi mine are kept in a 3 foot aquapack vivarium i think the make is. I have basically a wooden cabinet with glass sliding doors.

This WILL kill your tortoises eventually unfortunately. Apart from which, meanwhile they will likely grow too fast and will be far too big for a normal viv size anyway. What size is it - anything less than 6ft would be cruel for juvenile tortoises

·
Registered
268 Posts

Hi,

Then that is not a healthy environment for your tort, how can you say it is well ventilated, with those glass sliding doors!!

Even if you say you open them, this is not good enough, you are really risking your torts health, if they are kept in that horrible home!:(

Please for your tots sake and so you don't have hudge vet bills in the future, invest in a proper table, your tort will be happier, healthy and will love you more for it!!!:)

Here is a great link to a booklet to download, that shows you step by step how to set up for your tort and is written by one of the best tort experts Linda King;
www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/index.htm

Also have you tryed these sites they offer a lot of good advise on torts;

Shelled Warriors :: Index

TortoiseProtectionGroup : Tortoise Aid

tortoisetrust : Tortoise Trust Mailing List

Tortsmad : Tortsmad

Please take the good advise your getting from myself, tams and wizzasmum, we are only saying this for the sake of your tort and so you can have a long healthy happy time with your tort!!:)

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I would not sell one of my tortoises to anyone using one of these boxes. My neighbours had the same view and refused to listen until one died suddenly. They came crying and asking what caused it - I said the environment but they still kept their remaining one in there saying the vet said it was fine and that sometimes torts die of kidney failure! Of course they do becasue they are in vivs! I asked them to reconsider as the torts would not likely live beyond 5 like this. At age five they laughed at me, at age 6 it was dead!
See here http://www.tortoisestrust.org/articles/vivarium.htm
I would not use one of them either. I would certainly use a tort table.

I just thought that if it was well ventilated, made of wood, had a low humidity and the correct temp then it would be OK. but obvisously i was wrong. =D

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really dont see any problem with keeping Hermans Torts in well ventilated vivs myself. I can see more problems occuring with Tortoise Tables as cats, dogs, kids etc can get at the occupants a lot easier than in a viv.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well four vents, thats not good enough, your torts need to be in a table, all we can do is give you the good advise, its up to you to decide if you care enough about your torts, you will do whats best for them!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
What are the lengths of your tortoises, measured underneath not over the top?

Can you post a pic of your viv?

It is not about what is easier, it is about what is RIGHT for a healthy tortoise - housing and diet play the most important part.

Tamie

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4 vents have been fine so far for them as they are thriving obviously I will increase the size of the viv as they grow.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put them in a rabbit run when they are outside that has wire mesh over the top and sides and a built in hutch that they use to get some cover.

·
Registered
175 Posts
it is stated a 6ft viv is not big enough however i have seen many tort tables no where near 6ft.
also re adapted vivs are suitable, if you turn it on it's back and take out the glass you have a tort table!

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.