Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I'm new to this site and wonder if you could give me some advice. We had a tortoise years ago when I was a child... We have been offered a rescue tortoise this month and I wonder if you could clear a few things up (I'm a bit rusty!) We live in West Cornwall where the weather is very mild. i have heard of lots of people in our neck of the woods keeping their tortoises in the garden pretty much all year round... with a coldframe or a dog kennel for them to get some shelter and shade but no heat lamps etc... the rescue centre have told me they let their tortoises dig themselves into the ground in a greenhouse or polytunnel (which we can also provide) to hibernate. As far as I am aware they have a free roa,m and no UV or heat lamps where they are at the moment... I'd ideally like to give our tortoise the whole garden to roam so providing all is secure (going to test it out first on my mums tiny jack russell who is a great escape artist!) - I really just wanted to check that this sounds suitable and that we wouldnt be doing any harm by letting him have free roam, with shelter and hibernating in the garden through winter... any help and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks -

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
:welcomerfuk: sorry i live way up other end of england and cant help
if you dont get a reply soon try posting this in the shelled section

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
It is possible to do this, I keep mine out side all summer, but I do have heat lamps for those prolonged cool/rainy times we seem to get in the UK. I frdige hibernate mine though.

Post in the shelled section you'll get a better response to your questions, and there are a few keepers down nearer you that may be able to help more with your questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts