Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please try out this site. There are many experienced tortoise
keepers on it willing to help or listen to all. It's backed by the
TT, BCG, Hampshire Tortoise Society, Shelled Warriors
Tortoisefriends & Tortsmad. It is campaigning for a ban on the
capture and importation of tortoises into the UK for the pet trade
and to stop unscrupulous dealers and the trafficking of tortoises.
The group is initially compiling the most comprehensive list of
Genuine UK Tortoise Breeders in order to offer an alternative to
purchasing imported tortoises, many of which are of dubious origin.
Part of our website currently under construction:-

http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/traffic/index.html

Please join here:-

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/TortoiseProtectionGroup/

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
This groups is long overdue and hopefully when the initial flood of welcomes etc is over, will get down to the serious business of putting a total stop to banning all importation of tortoises if not other reptiles. It's about time this vile trade was stopped. Well done Ali and Darren.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
get down to the serious business of putting a total stop to banning all importation of tortoises if not other reptiles.
That's a scary thought!!

What about all the torts and other reptiles that are imported properly? You are looking to punish everyone for the mistakes of the few.

Hows about i take your electricity away because i know someone that electrocuted themselves?

A blanket ban will only serve to drive it all further underground. Better regulations are the answer, not something that will actually promote bad conditions during the shipping process.

EDIT: How many of the supporting people have actual physical experience in the recent importing of reptiles on a regular basis?
It seems to me that you want support but are unwilling to hear valid comments by others.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i cant believe people are opposesed to this proposed ban,there are plenty of UK breeders without the need to import torts in appauling conditions to ruthless petshop owners and then be sentenced to death by being sold in a glass tank!i suggest people go and look at the group and view the horrific pictures and stories and see if they then feel the same!
kerry:evil:

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
**That's a scary thought!!

Not nearly so scary as the ignorance of not knowing what all this ia about - animal welfare!

**What about all the torts and other reptiles that are imported properly?

You name me one and I will give you a gold star ;)

**You are looking to punish everyone for the mistakes of the few.

If by punishing you mean preventing people buying from pet shops in the name of prveenting many thousands of tortoises suffering - Yes :)

**Hows about i take your electricity away because i know someone that **electrocuted themselves?

That is a false analogy. Electricity is essential for many things, not least assisting our shelled friends to live a healthy life. Tortoise importaion benefits no-one other than the dealers.

**A blanket ban will only serve to drive it all further underground. Better **regulations are the answer, not something that will actually promote **bad conditions during the shipping process.

There will always be smugglers but with the knowledge of a full ban being in situ many people will be wary of being duped by such people. The loohole allowing imnportation of wild caught masquerading as captive farmed, is confusing to many and so they could well be duped into thinking they are indeed buying a captive bred tortoise.

**EDIT: How many of the supporting people have actual physical experience in the recent importing of reptiles on a regular basis?

More than you realise obviously. Have you actually looked at the site? - thought not ;)

**It seems to me that you want support but are unwilling to hear valid **comments by others.

Bring 'em on ;)

So long as it is not orange!!!!!!!!
Last edited by reticulatus : Today at 09:10 PM. Reason: adding a thought

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Before i post more can i ask that we TRY to remain calm and mature in our posts?

I am genuinely interested in having a good DEBATE about this but really don't want it to resort to rumours, hearsay and worst of all a slanging match.

If we can manage that it would be very eye opening for members and in theory could only be beneficial for your cause.

You up for a debate?

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
**Before i post more can i ask that we TRY to remain calm and mature in our posts?

Did anyone not do that?

**I am genuinely interested in having a good DEBATE about this but really **don't want it to resort to rumours, hearsay and worst of all a slanging **match.

I think the site URL has already been posted for debate if you wish to have one ;)

*If we can manage that it would be very eye opening for members and in *theory could only be beneficial for your cause.

As mentioned it is the Tortoise Prtoection Group. The main reason that a group has been set up for this specific purpose is that lots of squabbling on several groups has no effect whatsoever. I have bought from Livefoods in the past but no more!

You up for a debate?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think its an excellent idea. Many, many reptiles die in poor importing conditions. At the end of the day thats whats most important. There are plenty of UK breeders around for all types of reptiles. I would never buy from a pet shop again since i found that my tort was imported even though they said he was captive bred. It might mean that for awhile some reptiles will be harder to get hold of but at least you know they will be healthy and not taken from the wild which just lowers the population numbers. Would anyone like to see extinction in the wild of some reptiles? I would rather have no pets if it meant that they could continue living in the wild.
I tried to look on the site but it just said something about copyright issues.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Forget it :bash:

I havent even posted since i sent a PM and already my posts have been miss-interpretated.

Not interested in arguing or defending a request to keep an emotional subject calm and rational.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Any debate on a subject as emotive as this is never going to be calm unfortunately.
I've just had a look at the web site.:(

Sorry but some one needs to do some home work. I'm not going to get into an argument here but I will suggest that the TPG urgently gets in contact with the Federation of British Herpetologists and clarifies some of those claims they are making. Their web site currently reads like an advert for the anti reptile groups (Animal Aid & the Animal Protection Agency). Toland, Tyler and Warwick must be well pleased with the free advertising.
There is so much miss-information out there being spread by the Anti reptile keeping groups that it is easy to imagine things are realy bad when they aren't.
If any one from the TPG is reading this and feels up to a chat with the FBH please PM me for contact details.

Natrix

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.