Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm new to the herp way of life so be gentle pse ! I want to use beech branches from my garden for climbing/decor in the viv - I'm sure I've read somewhere that beech is safe for snakes but there are definately a few more UK trees that are too - does anyone know them??

Also would it be enough to steep the branches in boiling water to kill off undesirables or is a disinfectant bath also needed ?

Thanx 4 reading

·
Registered
632 Posts
any fruit tree branches should be fine... avoid cedar as the sap causes problems and is toxic. i personally spray new branches with frontline (available from vets) then soak them in boiling water... some people freeze branches etc avoid wood from "sappy" trees. :)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
strip the bark, frontline it, wrap it in cellophane and leave it for a week.

that will kill any creepies on it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brilliant ideas - thnx evryone. Would never have thought of using Frontline.

A word on Frontline tho (which I have 4 my ferrets) - my vet kindly gave me a bunch of latex gloves and was anxious to stress to spray in short, close spurts ( to minimise 'misting' ) & always with the gloves on. It's quite a chemical !

Thanks again all. :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
the short bursts are more for the animals benefitas it will prevent it from getting in your ferets eyes :) to be honest i've never used gloves with frontilne :? and we don't tend to give out gloves for it either... but its all good practice!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts